OPening Pool with pool magic

May 21, 2013
I have always been told to open my pool with 4 gallons of chlorine, pool magic and algaecide. Is this neccessary , been reading about the BBB method and plan on a trying that. Let me know what you think!

Welcome to TFP!

Our philosophy is to know what you need and only add what you need. Any blanket guidance will only work for a very specific situation. Step one of any chemical addition is always to test the water and see what it needs. Without knowing the CYA level, you can't know how much chlorine to add.

For example, if your CYA is 0ppm, you would need to add only about 2 gallons of 6% bleach to reach your 10ppm shock level. If your CYA is 40ppm, the Chlorine CYA Chart tells you need 3 gallons of the 6% to reach your 16ppm shock level. You'll also find that the chlorine is consumed rapidly if the water is green, with more chlorine being needed as soon as an hour later.

Pool Magic is not necessary, and algaecide would do far more good at closing than at opening. It is primarily a preventive measure rather than a treatment for existing algae.

timhof13 said:
I have always been told to open my pool with 4 gallons of chlorine, pool magic and algaecide. Is this neccessary , been reading about the BBB method and plan on a trying that. Let me know what you think!

I was told the same thing last year from pool store I bought my new pool from...it's called POOL SCHOOLED! :-D All came in the lovely new pool owner kit we paid $300 for along with a big ole bucket of Dichlor tabs. Now I'm dealing with the aftermess of using those nasty pucks and super shock bags...my cya is at 80 AFTER I replaced 60% of my water, so it must have been out in space last year! :lol: It's cloudy out today but I can see that "sparkle" all of the BBBr's rave about. :wink:

I guess my question was what does the stuff do, or suppose to do! I haven't opened the pool yet so a water sample is not available. I have read over the pool school stuff. have learned a lot so far.

It is "magic" they can not reveal the secret of what it does ;) The magic is it empties your wallet for no good reason.

It says it "breaks down non-living organics" ... which is pretty much what bleach (chlorine) will do for a lot less money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.