Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OPening Pool with pool magic

1. Back To Top    #1

OPening Pool with pool magic

I have always been told to open my pool with 4 gallons of chlorine, pool magic and algaecide. Is this neccessary , been reading about the BBB method and plan on a trying that. Let me know what you think!
    24 foot round 12,000 gallons
    Above Ground
    Sand Filter 1.5 hp
    pool age 10 years approx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OPening Pool with pool magic

Read pool school and get familiar with the info there. Get a test kit, so you can accurately know what your water is doing.

Welcome to TFP!
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Our philosophy is to know what you need and only add what you need. Any blanket guidance will only work for a very specific situation. Step one of any chemical addition is always to test the water and see what it needs. Without knowing the CYA level, you can't know how much chlorine to add.

For example, if your CYA is 0ppm, you would need to add only about 2 gallons of 6% bleach to reach your 10ppm shock level. If your CYA is 40ppm, the Chlorine CYA Chart tells you need 3 gallons of the 6% to reach your 16ppm shock level. You'll also find that the chlorine is consumed rapidly if the water is green, with more chlorine being needed as soon as an hour later.

Pool Magic is not necessary, and algaecide would do far more good at closing than at opening. It is primarily a preventive measure rather than a treatment for existing algae.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Ditto's, read Pool School and get a proper test kit, then you'll know exactly what your pool needs.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timhof13
    I have always been told to open my pool with 4 gallons of chlorine, pool magic and algaecide. Is this neccessary , been reading about the BBB method and plan on a trying that. Let me know what you think!
    I was told the same thing last year from pool store I bought my new pool from...it's called POOL SCHOOLED! All came in the lovely new pool owner kit we paid $300 for along with a big ole bucket of Dichlor tabs. Now I'm dealing with the aftermess of using those nasty pucks and super shock bags...my cya is at 80 AFTER I replaced 60% of my water, so it must have been out in space last year! It's cloudy out today but I can see that "sparkle" all of the BBBr's rave about.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe the term is "Pool Stored."

Pool Schooled would be a good term around here, me thinks.
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
    I believe the term is "Pool Stored."

Pool Schooled would be a good term around here, me thinks.
    You are right, that does sound better around here. Getting "schooled" back in the 80's was getting shafted. LOL

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess my question was what does the stuff do, or suppose to do! I haven't opened the pool yet so a water sample is not available. I have read over the pool school stuff. have learned a lot so far.
    Above Ground
    Sand Filter 1.5 hp
    pool age 10 years approx

9. Back To Top    #9

It is "magic" they can not reveal the secret of what it does The magic is it empties your wallet for no good reason.

It says it "breaks down non-living organics" ... which is pretty much what bleach (chlorine) will do for a lot less money.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    It is "magic" they can not reveal the secret of what it does The magic is it empties your wallet for no good reason.

11. Back To Top    #11

Good answer I guess
    Above Ground
    Sand Filter 1.5 hp
    pool age 10 years approx