Overnight nuking a success! May be helpful to others

If you read my recent posts, you know that I had been shocking for 2 weeks, feeling like I was spinning my wheels because I had to go to work and couldn't keep it from falling below shock level. I had managed to decrease my OCL from loss of 6 to loss of 2.

In my most recent thread, Shane suggested that I nuke the heck out of the pool overnight. I had not heard of this before his post. I did that last night, taking it up to yellow mustard shock level of 24 rather than the "normal shock level" of 16.

IT WORKED! :party:

NO OCL! 0, zip, nada! THANK YOU SHANE!

Aside from celebrating being able to get up at a normal time now, my reason for posting is to offer questions and suggestions that might help others in the future with this problem.

Now, maybe last night was pure coincidence and I would have passed even at regular shock levels, I don't know. But assuming it was not a fluke:

Should this idea of "if you don't have success at normal shock levels after _____ amount of time, try nuking the pool overnight" be mentioned in the shock process article? Or is this not standard practice? I'm curious because if this was a reliable practice, it could save others gallons of bleach, hours of sleep, and lots of frustration if it were mentioned in the article. Again, maybe this doesn't occur that often and I got lucky, I don't know. Just curious to know what others think about this.

ecowolf said:
Now, maybe last night was pure coincidence and I would have passed even at regular shock levels, I don't know. But assuming it was not a fluke:
Sounds like a fluke. If there were organics in there it would have taken chlorine regardless of being at 16 or 24 ppm. What is your CC level and is your water crystal clear?

Okay, well it sounds like you are finished shocking...there does not appear to be any evidence that the Mustard Algae level helped you here. Of course going to the MA level can speed things up ( and doing it at night can be more chlorine efficient), but can be harder on liners, etc. It is for that reason that we do not recommend MA levels for the normal shocking process. Also, "nuking" can conjure up a very large amount of chlorine to some people, so that terminology is avoided on tfp.

I'm glad you got it under control. I mentioned in the other post that your pool was a good candidate for this due to the fact that it did not have a liner. I've learned from TFP that super high chlorine levels can bleach/discolor liners. So thats why its not regular practice for shocking a pool.

ecowolf said:
CC level is 0. Water is sparkling crystal clear. But they have been like that the whole time, even before shocking started.

Why were you shocking then? Maybe I missed it...

ivyleager said:
OCL was not holding....which is why I'm not a firm believer in that criteria.
I am not sure I understand your point. The criteria of loosing more than 1 ppm FC overnight shows that something is consuming FC and that something is not the sun. What is your argument with that criteria?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.