Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overnight nuking a success! May be helpful to others

1. Back To Top    #1

Overnight nuking a success! May be helpful to others

If you read my recent posts, you know that I had been shocking for 2 weeks, feeling like I was spinning my wheels because I had to go to work and couldn't keep it from falling below shock level. I had managed to decrease my OCL from loss of 6 to loss of 2.

In my most recent thread, Shane suggested that I nuke the heck out of the pool overnight. I had not heard of this before his post. I did that last night, taking it up to yellow mustard shock level of 24 rather than the "normal shock level" of 16.

IT WORKED!

NO OCL! 0, zip, nada! THANK YOU SHANE!

Aside from celebrating being able to get up at a normal time now, my reason for posting is to offer questions and suggestions that might help others in the future with this problem.

Now, maybe last night was pure coincidence and I would have passed even at regular shock levels, I don't know. But assuming it was not a fluke:

Should this idea of "if you don't have success at normal shock levels after _____ amount of time, try nuking the pool overnight" be mentioned in the shock process article? Or is this not standard practice? I'm curious because if this was a reliable practice, it could save others gallons of bleach, hours of sleep, and lots of frustration if it were mentioned in the article. Again, maybe this doesn't occur that often and I got lucky, I don't know. Just curious to know what others think about this.
    Test Kit: Taylor K-2006
    Pool:In ground/Pebble/16,000 gal/Cartridge Filter/Pool Built appr. 1995-2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overnight nuking a success! May be helpful to others

Awesome News!!

AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ecowolf
    Now, maybe last night was pure coincidence and I would have passed even at regular shock levels, I don't know. But assuming it was not a fluke:
    Sounds like a fluke. If there were organics in there it would have taken chlorine regardless of being at 16 or 24 ppm. What is your CC level and is your water crystal clear?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

CC level is 0. Water is sparkling crystal clear. But they have been like that the whole time, even before shocking started.

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, well it sounds like you are finished shocking...there does not appear to be any evidence that the Mustard Algae level helped you here. Of course going to the MA level can speed things up ( and doing it at night can be more chlorine efficient), but can be harder on liners, etc. It is for that reason that we do not recommend MA levels for the normal shocking process. Also, "nuking" can conjure up a very large amount of chlorine to some people, so that terminology is avoided on tfp.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it. Thanks for the replies, and thanks to everyone for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm glad you got it under control. I mentioned in the other post that your pool was a good candidate for this due to the fact that it did not have a liner. I've learned from TFP that super high chlorine levels can bleach/discolor liners. So thats why its not regular practice for shocking a pool.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ecowolf
    CC level is 0. Water is sparkling crystal clear. But they have been like that the whole time, even before shocking started.
    Why were you shocking then? Maybe I missed it...
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

OCL was not holding....which is why I'm not a firm believer in that criteria.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager
    OCL was not holding....which is why I'm not a firm believer in that criteria.
    I am not sure I understand your point. The criteria of loosing more than 1 ppm FC overnight shows that something is consuming FC and that something is not the sun. What is your argument with that criteria?