results but where's my chlorine?

Jun 2, 2011
East Texas
Water is whitish clear but cloudy... looks like tap water with tons of chlorine in it almost that's foggy in the glass before it settles.

Test Kit comes thursday so I run and get a gallon of liquid CYA, no patience, dump it in early evening late afternoon. (Sunday) Put dry cya in a sock and massaged till gone.

Saturday PH = 7.2 TA = 160 CYA = 25 turned return up to aerate, make bubbles
Monday, yesterday, PH = 7.2 TA = 140 CYA = 50 Dumped in 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach to shock the Crud out of it. tested late yesterday showed chlorine above 10.
Tuesday, today, PH = 7.2 TA = 140 CYA = 50 FC = .5 CC = 2 TC = 2.5.
Still making bubbles to try and lower the TA a bit. I know my ph needs to come up.
our water from the hose is off the charts high.
I didn't write it down I think my borates were at 50.

I didn't test the specific amount of chlorine yesterday (I waited several hours after adding bleach) at above 10 because wasn't worried about it. I just didn't expect it to go away from yesterday morning to this morning w/ CYA in there or is that not near enough?
Yesterday I did try to sweep the bottom which there's some gunk those little finger looking things from the neighbors pine trees mainly. I'm sure I didn't get all of it as the hose developed a crack in it and broke.
Can't see much really it appears to be clean looking but can see a dark spot on the middle where it settles just vaguely if standing on deck.

I think it's in my sig but just in case.
24' round intex w/ intex 2650 gph sandfilter swg.
supposed to hold 12500 gal of water.

Your chlorine is being used up creating more greyish white stuff out of green stuff. The problem is the green stuff keeps on reproducing.

What you need to do is get enough chlorine in the pool to kill the green stuff faster than it reproduces and keep adding it every couple hours until you've completed The Shock Process

You may end up with this picture by the time it's all done. (And no, don't go dumping that much in all at once. Read that link I posted above.)
file.php

ahaha Hope I don't look quite like that pic when it's all done but it might. The foggy color of the pool in the pic is what mine looks like.
I can test the CH but will it matter beings how it's just a vinyl liner?
Thank you will add more now and if the storms don't come in bad will check 2-3 hours.
I was looking at the shock level chart for swg. It says 60 cya is a shock of 24. since i'm at 50 will 20 suffice or keep at 24 for a few days or until clear?
Thanks!

wildchilde said:
ahaha Hope I don't look quite like that pic when it's all done but it might. The foggy color of the pool in the pic is what mine looks like.
I can test the CH but will it matter beings how it's just a vinyl liner?
Thank you will add more now and if the storms don't come in bad will check 2-3 hours.
I was looking at the shock level chart for swg. It says 60 cya is a shock of 24. since i'm at 50 will 20 suffice or keep at 24 for a few days or until clear?
Thanks!
20 is fine. So is 24.

Did you read the article and see the three tests to know when it's time to stop?

If you just wait for "clear," and let the FC drop back to normal, the cloudiness may come back.

I'm back... ended up gone last weekend so basically had to start over... results as of I've been aerating with lower water level and the return. 24/7. I have the pump running 24/7 but have turned off the SWG.
monday>> FC 4 CC 2 TA 200 PH 7.5 shocked w/ bleach. 8.25% & acid
Tues. morn>> FC 12 CC 1 TA 190 PH 7.8 added more bleach and acid
Tuesday evening>> FC 12 CC2 PH 7.2 more bleach
Wednesday morning 9.am FC 24 CC 0 TA 160 PH 7.2
Wed. evening.. 6:30? FC 17 TC 1? very slight tinge of pink TA 160 PH 7.2 checked CYA again it's at 80. added more bleach...
Thurs> This morning 9:20 FC 21 CC 0>1.. maybe i'm seeing pink now... sigh... TA 160 PH 7.8. added acid then tested a few min ago about 4:45. Thurs. eve... FC 15 CC 0 TA 160 PH 7.5.
Still have water level a little bit low so the return makes white caps in the water. It seems like the acid isn't doing Crud to my alkalinity but mainly my PH. Am i completely confused or what? I thought aeration was supposed to help get the alkalinity down... I can see the bottom but still foggy... Keep shocking I assume... Will add more bleach tonight.
I really need this to hurry... supposed to have a party on the 8th..... should I get my sock level higher than 24 and... with a cya of 80 i'm still losing 10ppm chlorine.. it was cloudy yesterday sunny today. Last I had checked my CYA was at 50. after the rest of the sock dissolved now at 80.
Ideas? Bottom is clear swept this morning can't see where anything has settled back. no back swimmers either now yesterday or today.
I'm getting nervous.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.