Deb_B

May 21, 2013
Houston, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am a brand new first time pool owner and I am blindly following the calculator.

I set up an Intex 18'x48" round above ground Ultra Frame pool.

Here are my levels using the HTC 6 test kit
TC / TB 5 / 10
PH 7.2
TA 150
TH 200
CYA 0 - Threw in sock with stabilizer last night. When should I test for CYA?

When the calculator says to add acid to lower TA does that mean PH minus?

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B

Deb_B said:
I am a brand new first time pool owner and I am blindly following the calculator.

TC / TB 5 / 10
PH 7.2
TA 150
TH 200
Wait about a week to test. Keep track of how much you add and once it is dissolved, assume it is in the water and use that as your CYA #.

Yes, pH minus, but most of us use muratic acid.Your TA is okay as is. Keep an eye on the pH. Once it get to 7.8, lower it back to 7.2. Over time the TA will lower on its own.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B

Welcome! :wave:

Deb_B said:

TC / TB 5 / 10
PH 7.2
TA 150
TH 200

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B
Retest CYA in about a week. In the meantime, try to hang it so it's not resting directly on the vinyl. Or use an empty bleach jug or a pool noodle or something to just let it dangle in the water and bob around as it dissolves.

Yes, pH minus is a dry acid. It's more expensive to use than liquid Muriatic Acid.

[center:2f5881d5]
file.php
[/center:2f5881d5]

Welcome to tfp, Deb_B :wave:

Butterfly and R320 beat me but here are my comments:

How much cya did you add?

I would wait till all the cya has disappeared from the sock then another week after that and retest.

For the chlorine test, ignore the numbers on the right (they are for bromine), you are only interested in the chlorine readings that goes up to 5.

Deb_B said:
Then the calculator says to add acid to lower TA does that mean PH minus?
I wouldn't worry about TA for now...also no need to lower ph right now. Most likely your ph will go up, when it gets to 7.8 just lower it back down to 7.2 and this will also slowly lower you TA. By the way we recommend Muriatic Acid (MA) for lowering ph...it is cheaper then ph minus.

I added 16 oz of HTC stabilizer as that is all I had until I run to the store again today. Is there a preferred product?

I hung the sock from the ladder with an old shoelace so that it is free floating behind the ladder.

Mr. Blue... thanks for the heads up on Pool School. I will be doing a lot of reading over the next few days!

Go Texans! :)

Deb_B said:
I added 16 oz of HTC stabilizer as that is all I had until I run to the store again today. Is there a preferred product?

I hung the sock from the ladder with an old shoelace so that it is free floating behind the ladder.

Mr. Blue... thanks for the heads up on Pool School. I will be doing a lot of reading over the next few days!

Go Texans! :)
Look for something like 96 -99% cyanuric acid. Avoid any that have copper/cupra/cuprous chemicals listed as an ingredient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.