Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner... confused about chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner... confused about chemicals

I am a brand new first time pool owner and I am blindly following the calculator.

I set up an Intex 18'x48" round above ground Ultra Frame pool.

Here are my levels using the HTC 6 test kit
    TC / TB 5 / 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 150
    TH 200
    CYA 0 - Threw in sock with stabilizer last night. When should I test for CYA?

When the calculator says to add acid to lower TA does that mean PH minus?

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B
    Intex AG 2252 / 10421 Gallons / Vinyl liner
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    2650 gal/hr Intex Krystal Clear Pump- Type B Filter
    Intex SWG
    TFTestkit / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer!!! / BBB method only

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner... confused about chemicals

Quote Originally Posted by Deb_B
    I am a brand new first time pool owner and I am blindly following the calculator.

TC / TB 5 / 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 150
    TH 200
    Wait about a week to test. Keep track of how much you add and once it is dissolved, assume it is in the water and use that as your CYA #.

Yes, pH minus, but most of us use muratic acid.Your TA is okay as is. Keep an eye on the pH. Once it get to 7.8, lower it back to 7.2. Over time the TA will lower on its own.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

TC / TB 5 / 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 150
    TH 200

Thanks in advance.

Deb_B
    Retest CYA in about a week. In the meantime, try to hang it so it's not resting directly on the vinyl. Or use an empty bleach jug or a pool noodle or something to just let it dangle in the water and bob around as it dissolves.

Yes, pH minus is a dry acid. It's more expensive to use than liquid Muriatic Acid.

[center:2f5881d5][/center:2f5881d5]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, Deb_B

Butterfly and R320 beat me but here are my comments:

How much cya did you add?

I would wait till all the cya has disappeared from the sock then another week after that and retest.

For the chlorine test, ignore the numbers on the right (they are for bromine), you are only interested in the chlorine readings that goes up to 5.

Then the calculator says to add acid to lower TA does that mean PH minus?
    I wouldn't worry about TA for now...also no need to lower ph right now. Most likely your ph will go up, when it gets to 7.8 just lower it back down to 7.2 and this will also slowly lower you TA. By the way we recommend Muriatic Acid (MA) for lowering ph...it is cheaper then ph minus.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you don't want to be "blindly following" the Pool Caluctaror, head over to Pool School

A lot of great info over there.
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

6. Back To Top    #6

I added 16 oz of HTC stabilizer as that is all I had until I run to the store again today. Is there a preferred product?

I hung the sock from the ladder with an old shoelace so that it is free floating behind the ladder.

Mr. Blue... thanks for the heads up on Pool School. I will be doing a lot of reading over the next few days!

Go Texans!
    Intex AG 2252 / 10421 Gallons / Vinyl liner
    Pool Set up - May 2016
    2650 gal/hr Intex Krystal Clear Pump- Type B Filter
    Intex SWG
    TFTestkit / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer!!! / BBB method only

7. Back To Top    #7

I added 16 oz of HTC stabilizer as that is all I had until I run to the store again today. Is there a preferred product?

I hung the sock from the ladder with an old shoelace so that it is free floating behind the ladder.

Mr. Blue... thanks for the heads up on Pool School. I will be doing a lot of reading over the next few days!

Go Texans!
    Look for something like 96 -99% cyanuric acid. Avoid any that have copper/cupra/cuprous chemicals listed as an ingredient.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Go Texans!
    Yeah, there's a lot to read. I found it very interesting, but be prepared...I think I have read over it, at least, 4 times so far.
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter