New Pool Owner needs Help!

SSKahl

May 21, 2013
Bought a new house with an above ground 24' diameter pool. The previous owners had no problems with it and used it every summer. We filled it, connected the pump and sand filter. There was tons of dirt on the bottom of the pool but the water was relatively clear. We tried vaccuming the pool (on Filter setting) and a ton of dirty water was being spit back into the pool from the filter. Turned it off and let the water sit overnight. Thismorning it is still so green and dirty that you can't see the bottom! What is wrong?
My husband replaced the gasket yesterday as well, due to advice from some pool store people.
I am so excited about having a pool, and I really thought this was going to be fairly simple, but now we're both so frustrated.

Please Help! :!: :!:

Welcome! :wave:

May I suggest you fill out your signature? That information is very useful to others.

Obviously the filter's not filtering. In light of a recent thread here, the first thing to check is that the filter was reconnected properly. They're designed to work one direction.

Did the filter get moved any? Any chance the innards got jostled?

It might be time to open it up and take a peek inside if everything else is okay. And while you're looking at the sand level and whatnot, maybe try breaking up any clumps and clean any big chucks out.

pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

Beyond this immediate problem, make sure to read 'Pool School' (link is in the upper right corner of the site) so you learn how to properly maintain your pool, also, make sure to get a proper drop based test kit (no strips).

Hmm. Can you possibly give me a list of "Try this and if that doesn't work, then try this" steps? We don't have internet set up out at the house yet, so I won't be able to come right back on here if that doesn't work.
The filter may have been jostled a tiny bit when connecting hoses because they were a tight fit, but it hasn't been moved over any distance so I don't know if that little movement would have messed things up much.

Sorry, I don't know all the signature info by heart. I'd have to go back home, look it up probably, and then come back tomorrow and fill it in. Half the stuff I don't even know where to find the brand names... like I said: new pool owner.

Welcome,

If when you get info on the equipment take pics and post here. Many here could tell you if it's all connected properly. I know the first time I connected mine I had a couple of things wrong and made a mess. But I had already been on here and learned how to clean it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.