Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constantly adding acid since starting the BBB. ????

1. Back To Top    #1

Constantly adding acid since starting the BBB. ????

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH at least 8
    TA 110
    CH 260
    CYA at 40-50(added stabilizer to raise cya from probably 10 last week).

Is this the nature of BBB? Adding 3/4 a gallon every 2-3 day's(muratic acid)?
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    2.5 HP pool pump and 3/4 HP booster pump for pool cleaner.
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Constantly adding acid since starting the BBB. ????

If you were using tabs before, yes. The tabs are acidic, so you were inadvertently and unknowingly adding acid without really knowing it. Also, your TA is a touch high which is contributing to the TA rise. How old is the pool?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Every pool is different.

How are you getting those numbers? I sure hope it's not via test strips... 'fess up and take your scolding if you are!

Assuming you're using a drop test for pH, note that the scale runs out at 8.2. Anything above 8.2 will read as 8.2, so you could have been at 9, or 10, or even higher! Also note that pH is logarithmic. If you've forgotten that math concept since high school, it's like the Richter Scale. 8 is ten times stronger than 7. 9 is 100 times stronger than 7!! So to drive pH down from somewhere above 8 is going to take a lot of acid. Once it gets into the mid 7's, the quantities will reduce.

Doublecheck your acid, too. The latest gimmic is "fumeless" or "safe" acid which is just a euphemism for "diluted with water."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

3rd season for the pool. Unless I get muratic any cheaper, I can possibly spend $120 per season for acid. Ill drop TA.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Every pool is different.

How are you getting those numbers? I sure hope it's not via test strips... 'fess up and take your scolding if you are!

Assuming you're using a drop test for pH, note that the scale runs out at 8.2. Anything above 8.2 will read as 8.2, so you could have been at 9, or 10, or even higher! Also note that pH is logarithmic. If you've forgotten that math concept since high school, it's like the Richter Scale. 8 is ten times stronger than 7. 9 is 100 times stronger than 7!! So to drive pH down from somewhere above 8 is going to take a lot of acid. Once it gets into the mid 7's, the quantities will reduce.

Doublecheck your acid, too. The latest gimmic is "fumeless" or "safe" acid which is just a euphemism for "diluted with water."

No strips. I use the Taylor test kit. I understand the pH scale.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

I would check the strength of the muriatic you are using. That said, 35000 gallons is a lot of water. My pool is 14100, and I use approx 2 cups of 31.45% muriatic 2-3 times per week. I get a fair amount of pH rise from my SWG induced aeration.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm no expert, but my TA is 90, slightly lower than yours, and I add about a third of a gallon (14% strength) every week. So with your TA at 120, and with such a huge pool, what you are adding may be about right.
    Test Kit: Taylor K-2006
    Pool:In ground/Pebble/16,000 gal/Cartridge Filter/Pool Built appr. 1995-2000

8. Back To Top    #8

As you continue to add acid, your TA will also drop and the rate of PH rise will also decrease. Do you happen to have high TA fill water?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have any type of water feature or spa spillover? My pool is 28000 gal and I go through 3-4 gal of MA a month. My TA is around 70. I do have a spa with a spillover that runs 8 hours a day and also a in floor cleaning system that cycles frequently in the spa pushing even more water out.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    Do you have any type of water feature or spa spillover? My pool is 28000 gal and I go through 3-4 gal of MA a month. My TA is around 70. I do have a spa with a spillover that runs 8 hours a day and also a in floor cleaning system that cycles frequently in the spa pushing even more water out.
    I don't have a spa but I do have a baby pool spill over. Three square cut outs from the wall that spill water into the pool. I assume that's plenty of aeration.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by brian10
    I don't have a spa but I do have a baby pool spill over. Three square cut outs from the wall that spill water into the pool. I assume that's plenty of aeration.
    I am new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. As I understand it aeration will raise he pH, so that might be contributing to the issue. Also, have you thought about adding borates to help stabilize the pH?
    so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    Screened in 15,000 gallon in-ground plaster SWG pool with attached spillover style spa. Borates 0 (might bring it up to 40-50ppm this season). Econo Flo 165 variable speed pump. Raypak 133k BTU Heat Pump. Oasis Controller. Dolphin Nautilus Plus CC Pool Cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Borates should be added only after all the other pool chemistry is under control, including TA.

The pH rise is happening because of the TA. Adjust pH to 7.2 when you add acid. The spill over will take care of the aeration, and your TA will come down over time.

We notice over and over that new members want to immediately fix TA and add borates. Borates are optional and should be added after becoming a master at maintaining your pool chemistry. TA will come down on its own as long as everything else is maintained.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

13. Back To Top    #13

Borates should be added only after all the other pool chemistry is under control, including TA.

The pH rise is happening because of the TA. Adjust pH to 7.2 when you add acid. The spill over will take care of the aeration, and your TA will come down over time.

We notice over and over that new members want to immediately fix TA and add borates. Borates are optional and should be added after becoming a master at maintaining your pool chemistry. TA will come down on its own as long as everything else is maintained.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 60
    CH 260
    CYA 40

I have considered adding borates. I was waiting to get the pool balanced and stable then to observe the pools look and feel before I added any borates. I want to be able to tell the difference.
    BBB
    40x20 IG gunite pool
    35000 gallons
    Cartridge filters
    Huntsville Texas

15. Back To Top    #15

Good plan. And keep that FC above 3!

16. Back To Top    #16

I used a lot of MA last year, adding 1/2 gal every 2 to 3 days. I worked on lowering the TA and when I opened this year it was 70. pH was 7.2. I didn't raise it because last year the pH dirfted up rapidly. The pool has been open a month and I haven't had to add MA once. My pool's pH stays between 7.4 and 7.6 every time and TA stays at 70. I test pH at least every 2 days and TA once a week. The experts are right, get the TA to the right level for your pool and pH will stabilize.
    24,000 Gal In Ground pool
    Vinyl Liner; Sand Filter
    Pentair Intelliflo pump
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG
    Raypak Gas Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm in the third year of my pool and I am still adding about a quart of acid every 7-10 days. My TA stays between 70 and 80. But my oversized pump (I need it for the spa), the spillover spa (but the water doesn't fall far--the top of spa is level with the pool), and my SWG all cause my pH to rise.

I might spend $10 per month on acid, but it's pretty much all I have to add. Occasionally, I add some salt, conditioner and borax (along with more acid, of course) to top up after big rains. All in all, my pool is easy to maintain. Lowering your TA and adding borates may help, but I'm guessing you will always have to add some acid to keep the pH in range.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit