Low Voltage Lighting Questions

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I have started looking at installing a low voltage outdoor lighting system and after doing a day or research, have the following question:
1. What would be a decent downlight spotlight around between $25-$40. I know that solid brass is best, but everything I've seen is over $50. The lights will be installed on the side of our raised pool deck to illuminate an area to play bags at night.
2. Is it possible to control lights on the same transformer individually? For example, turn the downlights I mentioned above on and off without affecting deck lights attached to the same transformer?
3. What is the difference between an electic transformer and a magnetic transformer? For example, I actually found some Volt downlights that looked good for $50 but they require a magnetic transformer which seems to be more expensive.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Volt Lighting is excellent and there customer service is very good as well. I can highly recommend them. You can pick up a compatible transformer from one of the big box stores for $50 for a 120watts. Assuming you go with LED bulbs @ 2-3watts a piece you shouldn't have any trouble providing adequate lighting with one transformer. I have 3 120watt transformers for zoning purposes. One for the pool area, one for the backyard and one for the front yard.

In terms of field wiring I would recommend running from the transformer to a hub location and then from there to each of your individual lights with each hub could serve a 50' area. In this way voltage would be similar for each lamp connected to a given hub, insuring similar brightness for the area served by that hub. You could then order your fixtures with a 25' attached direct burial cable and you;d be good to go.

No affiliation with VOLT - just a happy customer.

Dave

Same here. Entire backyard done with volt equipment. Larger transformers have multiple circuits with would allow for 2 or 3 individual switches, each capable of controlling multiple zones. I used their transformer/cable/hubs/lights (led) and everything is of excellent quality (I'm not expert though). Did all the work myself as their website is extremely informative. No affiliation. Beyond pleased.

Thanks both for the advice. As I've researched further a couple more questions have come up:

1. According to the Volt website, a magnetic transformer is required with their lights...is this true? If I bought a transformer from a big box (for example, Intermatic) would it be magnetic or electric?

2. Does anyone have any experience with Paradise lighting? They are sold by Amazon and get excellent reviews. I've also read a couple of reviews other places that are very complimentary. Plus they are a lot cheaper than Volt.

3. Does anyone have any advice on how to light our pool deck below? We're not looking for bright lights necessarily....more "mood" lighting.

b66o1e.jpg

dpzfkk.jpg

I've read that all lights must be at least 10' away from the pool so this makes lighting even more difficult.

Thanks again!

Lighting under the top railing would be nice. Can use LED rope lights. For simple mood lighting, use these at the top of every other panel.

Attachments

• 600-br-1.jpg
    600-br-1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 218
pmsmith2032 said:
Thanks both for the advice. As I've researched further a couple more questions have come up:

1. According to the Volt website, a magnetic transformer is required with their lights...is this true? If I bought a transformer from a big box (for example, Intermatic) would it be magnetic or electric?

I contacted Volt about use of their transformer and they are not required. I purchased 100 watt pool rated magnetic transformers from local electric supply for about $50.

I've read that all lights must be at least 10' away from the pool so this makes lighting even more difficult.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.