Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquarite Chlorine Generator Power Light Only

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquarite Chlorine Generator Power Light Only

If my power light is on, but no other lights are on, and my cell is good, but my system is not generating chlorine, what's the most likely problem? I have a Goldline Aquarite chlorine generator which is 9 years old. I've seen posts about zero lights on, but not with just the power light on. The pool store I go to says my salt level is fine and the panel reads 2600.

My readings are as follows:

94p
    AL-7
    r1.33

Pool shop says the board is bad. But I've been reading about the current limiter. Should I just replace that?
    21k gallon IG Gunite pool, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Pentair variable speed pump, Dolphin Deluxe 5 robotic cleaner, located in Northern CA, in the Bay area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquarite Chlorine Generator Power Light Only

I would say try bumping the salt up to 3000 and see if that does anything. Does the amps reading change at all?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the cell nine years old? The numbers you post indicate a failing cell.

Have you looked at the limiter to see if it's cracked or discolored?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The cell is 2 years old. Also, I had it tested and the pool store that sold it to me said it's still good. I'll try to bump up the salt and see what happens.

Which number is the amp reading? Limiter looks good...no cracks but I haven't pulled the board out.

I did not mention that the readout shows 2600 no matter what position the off, auto and superchlorinate switch is at. Is that normal?

Thanks!
    21k gallon IG Gunite pool, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Pentair variable speed pump, Dolphin Deluxe 5 robotic cleaner, located in Northern CA, in the Bay area.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes that's normal.
    The amps is the one reading 0.00. Its the Cell current and it reads typically 4.50 to 7.80 amps when chlorine is being generated, otherwise
    0 amps
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi Chris 640,

The problem you describe is a classic blown fuse. Check the fuse on the control box, on a unit 9 years old it may be on the bottom of the box on the right hand side, there will be a black cap that says "fuse." If you don't have the fuse at the bottom of the box then the fuse will be on the main circuit board, it will be a mini fuse and have a yellow cap and it will be located on the right side of the circuit board.

The numbers your unit is displaying tell me the unit is not making chlorine. Whenever you want to get your readings always turn the output to 100%. By the numbers your gave us you have it set at 94%. The percentage is the percentage of time the unit will spend making chlorine based on a 200 minute cycle. They only time the unit will take a salt reading is while it is making chlorine. Your unit is not making chlorine so the display will not change until you get the unit to begin to "generate" chlorine.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Jim Garrison
    The Guru of Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Jim. I can't wait to get home and take a look.

Chris

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey Jim,

Here is a link to what my board looks like. I don't see a brown fuse just some brown capacitors.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&sa=N& ... ,s:0,i:195

9. Back To Top    #9

The picture in your link you can see at the corners of the PCB there is a yellow wire (left) and a orange wire (right) going down behind the board. Those two wires lead to the fuse holder. On that model the fuse holder is mounted to the box, so that it's accessable from outside without having to take the front cover off. The fuse access will be on the bottom next to the flow switch connection. (that's how my hold board was set up)

The black circle partially obscured by the salt cell cable is where the fuse holder was.

I replaced the board with an updated version where the fuse is on the PCB. This link shows the fuse, orange and yellow wires. My issue in this post was with one of the contacts being burt going to the fuse. You may also want to check those connections.

aqua-rite-no-power-wasn-t-cl-or-k1-relay-t47305.html

CLB
    12,000 gal Plaster, Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward Super II, Sta-Rite HRP Sand filter, Hayward Ultra Vac, TF-100.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Jim...I pulled the fuse out and the power light went off, so I assume the fuse is good. I replaced it while the unit was on which may have screwed things up because now it says "Errr 2" and the lights flash. At least I know it's not the fuse. Well, at least I know it's not the fuse. :/

11. Back To Top    #11

Update. Err2 went a way. Now it seems to be working.

Readings:
    94p
    AL 4
    r1.33

12. Back To Top    #12

Err2 is back and the lights are flashing. Any idea what that means?

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you inspect the board for any burnt wires? Did you look on the board for the current limiter to see if it's burnt?

CLB
    12,000 gal Plaster, Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward Super II, Sta-Rite HRP Sand filter, Hayward Ultra Vac, TF-100.

14. Back To Top    #14

I did not inspect for burnt wires but did inspect current limiter. It seems to be OK. Nice and hot. The system seems to be working.

No more errors.

Thanks!