Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: What type of filter do you have?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cartridge

17 42.50%
  • DE

10 25.00%
  • Sand

13 32.50%

Thread: What kind of filter do you have?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of filter do you have?

Just wondering what the second most common filter type is. I already know sand is number one, any guesses to number 2? Mine: I have a cartridge filter and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's not as difficult to clean as people make it out to be, and I really love the limited water loss. I am on well water with high iron content, so the less water loss the better. I will also say that the cartridge is great at clearing the iron out of the water. If I have to add a lot of water, I just fill the pool, check chlorine, and let the filter get it. You should see how brown the filter is when I clean it. I know I am risking staining, but this is just how I do it. Note to anyone who has iron problems and reads this: Use sequestrants, and don't do it like I do.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of filter do you have?

Had a DE filter for years. Retired it on its 25th anniversary. Now have a cartridge filter, 2 days old. So far, so good!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

This poll is not going the way I thought it would. I really thought sand would be number 1. I guess there is still plenty of time though.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Simply Sand for me

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand filter here but when we got the pool from a neighbor 6 years ago I didn't know anything else existed. We use zeo instead of sand and even add synthetic DE.
    I remember while growing up, my dad would clean the pool filter periodically. I don't know what type it was, but it was in a cylinder and he would have to crank it when backwashing. Then sand would dump all over on the ground and he would eventually have to add more.
    Glad we don't have anything like that.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use DE! I've never used a sand or cartridge n don't want to.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

DE
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

8. Back To Top    #8

Had sand, tried that, used zeolite in sand, hated it. We got a cartridge for this year and so far we are pleased.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

9. Back To Top    #9

So far the poll is pretty evenly matched. This is interesting. Thanks for taking the time to vote.
    John

10. Back To Top    #10

Love my cart filter. Easy breezy. A bit of Purifiber and all is sparkly!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

DE here. I think they all do a good job.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

So it looks like cartridge is the most popular filter around here. I never would have guessed that.
    John