Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need New Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need New Pump?

Went to start up my pool for the season and my pump was just making a faint humming sounds. After a few seconds of that, the breaker went off in the house.
    I have been wanting to get a new pump, so maybe this is my chance!
    I have a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP 115V/230V. I have a Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter.
    I have always believed that the 1HP Super Pump was too much for my pool/filter. I don't get the greatest filtering unless I had a fiber type filter aid on top of the sand.
    What type of pump could I replace this with? I would love to get something more energy efficient with lower flow rates to help the sand catch more of the fine particles/save energy.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need New Pump?

Is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V?
    What is the specific model of the motor ... HP and service factor (SF)?

Based on that answer, we can recommend a 2-speed motor to replace your existing motor (assuming the wet end is still fine).
    Or a 3/4-1HP 2 speed pump.

You will get better filtration and save $ running on low speed most of the time and just using high speed for backwashing the filter and running the suction cleaner for a few hours a day. Of course this means you will likely have to add a timer to control the speed since you have a suction cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what my current pump is wired for. It is not a plug in type, but is hardwired.
    How can I tell? I have a volt meter, I guess I could check that out.

1 HP

SF 1.1

model/serial number C48K2N143B1
    I am not really looking to replace the motor. I would rather just get a new pump.

Thanks again for the help!
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Any advice on a comparable two speed pump that may work? I guess I could just purchase the motor instead if that is easy enough to change out on my own

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to tell us if your current one is 115v or 230v before we can suggest anything. Check the breaker or look at how the motor or timer are wired.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Got into the wiring today and the current pump is 115 V

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I know the Pentair Superflo 3/4HP (1.67 SF) 2-speed is 115V {SF-N2-3/4A} and comes with unions for the plumbing and a built in switch to select the speed. That is actually a little larger than the pump you currently have (1.1 SFHP vs. this one @ 1.25 SFHP).

Or you can likely find just a motor if you want to keep the wet end of you pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

The Superflo 3/4 URHP is one of those pumps that you can't judge by the motor. It is actually smaller pump than the Superpump 1 URHP. The motor is larger but not the wet end.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, thanks Mark ... are all the Superflo wet ends smaller than the SuperPump? Or is the 3/4 different than the 1+ Superflos?

Although I still see no reason why this pump would not work in this case as no need for high flow rate is specified. Unless there is a SuperPump that is comparable. There would certainly be no reason to step up to the Whisperflo 3/4HP though.

I guess it depends if only a motor is desired or a whole new pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Sometimes, manufactures cannot find a motor small enough for the wet end so they use something that is close enough and just under load the motor. This is the case with the 1/2 HP Whisperflo, Northstar and Tristar. They all use motors larger than they need to but in this case, the service factor is closer to 2.

As for the Superflo Superpump comparison, for the same label HP their operating points are pretty close but the Superpumps are slightly lower and thus the efficiency is slightly higher than the Superflo. Not much though.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the advice. I am looking for a two speed superflo 3/4 HP on the internet, but can not find a place to buy one. anyone know of a place to purchace?

12. Back To Top    #12

Having trouble finding the Superflo 3/4 HP dual speed. I found this site - http://www.sunplay.com/Pentair-SuperFlo ... 341111.htm
    but it states this is a 230V
    Would it be adequate to go with a Hayward Super Pump Single Speed 3/4 HP? I would want to make sure I had enough power to run my pool cleaner and to backwash. Plus, I can get this from my local pool store.

13. Back To Top    #13

It is a hard pump to find. How about here:
    http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/pentair ... olpump.htm
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

I forgot that we have previously had problems locating the 3/4HP 2-speed. And that price you found is a little high (and Mark's is even higher)

Well, with the single speed you give up the power savings of being able to run on low when not needing to backwash or run the cleaner. What is the service factor on that 3/4HP Super Pump? It may be weaker than what you currently have.

Depends if you want a pump tomorrow, want to save $ on a cheaper pump now, or save $ on electricity for the life of the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

The service factor on the Hayward Super Pump 0.75 HP is 1.0.
    I am really in to saving money on electricity over the life of the pump. I like to run my pump 24/7.
    I know that I will save money with the Hayward SP 0.75 HP over the 1 HP Hayward. If I can't find a way to get the Pentair 2 speed, I would be fine with getting the Hayward 0.75 HP. I just want to make sure it will work for my setup.

16. Back To Top    #16

115v 2 speeds are a bit difficult to find. Might have more luck looking for just a motor and that will certainly be cheaper.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jordangregory
    The service factor on the Hayward Super Pump 0.75 HP is 1.0.
    I am really in to saving money on electricity over the life of the pump. I like to run my pump 24/7.
    I know that I will save money with the Hayward SP 0.75 HP over the 1 HP Hayward. If I can't find a way to get the Pentair 2 speed, I would be fine with getting the Hayward 0.75 HP. I just want to make sure it will work for my setup.
    Running 24/7 is not really required and you can save a lot of money by just adjusting your run time. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day on full speed and a little more on low speed.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

If I can't get a two speed, would the 3/4 hp super pump be adequate

19. Back To Top    #19

http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products ... 21544.html

What about the whisperflo 3/4 go? I can't get anyone to send out the superfluous. Looks like I can get the whisper flip next day.
    Would this be too much pump for my pool or will it work?

20. Back To Top    #20

Here is some info about finding a 2-speed ... although at the end they realize theirs is actually 230V:
    century-b973-as-new-motor-for-hayward-superpump-t33967.html

You have to see if your stand it adjustable to the larger diameter motor.

That Whisperflo is a larger pump than you currently have that will cost more upfront and move more water and thus use more electricity. But you would still save by running on low speed. Also realize that the WFDS-24 is the exact same pump, so search for both as one may be cheaper.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast