Motor oil in pool

May 20, 2013
Today I went to add liquid chlorine to start the shock process and as soon as it started coming out I noticed it was black. Used motor oil. :cry: Probably only 8 ounces or so.
The pump is not running and the water level is not above the skimmer yet, I stopped filling it up.
I can skim some off and have been, I ordered Pool First aid and am waiting for it to arrive.
Any suggestion on how to proceed?
Thank you for your help

Welcome to TFP!

Pool First Aid is what you need and you have already ordered it. Just keep skimming what you can manually. Don't worry. This has happened before and it always ends up ok. :goodjob:

nashman1966 said:
Today I went to add liquid chlorine to start the shock process and as soon as it started coming out I noticed it was black. Used motor oil. :cry: Probably only 8 ounces or so.
The pump is not running and the water level is not above the skimmer yet, I stopped filling it up.
I can skim some off and have been, I ordered Pool First aid and am waiting for it to arrive.
Any suggestion on how to proceed?
Thank you for your help
Welcome!

Great first post!
:nopic:
I want to see the rainbow sheen!

John T, for the rags do you just lay them on top and pull them before they sink? I used a just one towel and was not sure if it was doing anything is why I ask.
257- The pool first aid-does it work without the pump running? Hate to get oil in the sand filter. Pool is in ground 16x32 Hayward sand filter.
Thanks for the responses, sounds like it will work out.

It might be too late but auto part stores have oil pigs and pads that will absorb the oil and not water. That's what you need to absorb the oil. Once you have as much of it absorbed as you can then use the pool first aid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.