Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor oil in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor oil in pool

Today I went to add liquid chlorine to start the shock process and as soon as it started coming out I noticed it was black. Used motor oil. Probably only 8 ounces or so.
    The pump is not running and the water level is not above the skimmer yet, I stopped filling it up.
    I can skim some off and have been, I ordered Pool First aid and am waiting for it to arrive.
    Any suggestion on how to proceed?
    Thank you for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor oil in pool

Rags or old towels. Anything to soak it up.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Pool First Aid is what you need and you have already ordered it. Just keep skimming what you can manually. Don't worry. This has happened before and it always ends up ok.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nashman1966
    Today I went to add liquid chlorine to start the shock process and as soon as it started coming out I noticed it was black. Used motor oil. Probably only 8 ounces or so.
    The pump is not running and the water level is not above the skimmer yet, I stopped filling it up.
    I can skim some off and have been, I ordered Pool First aid and am waiting for it to arrive.
    Any suggestion on how to proceed?
    Thank you for your help
    Welcome!

Great first post!

I want to see the rainbow sheen!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

John T, for the rags do you just lay them on top and pull them before they sink? I used a just one towel and was not sure if it was doing anything is why I ask.
    257- The pool first aid-does it work without the pump running? Hate to get oil in the sand filter. Pool is in ground 16x32 Hayward sand filter.
    Thanks for the responses, sounds like it will work out.

6. Back To Top    #6

It might be too late but auto part stores have oil pigs and pads that will absorb the oil and not water. That's what you need to absorb the oil. Once you have as much of it absorbed as you can then use the pool first aid.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely oil pigs. http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool