Ideas where to buy Hayward Super pump

May 19, 2010
Evansville, IN
My Hayward Super pump was locked up when I opened our pool last week. When I took it a part, I got the shaft to spin, but it didn't spin very well. I ordered new seals and when I installed it today, it was running very hot, could not touch but for a few seconds. At least it wasn't leaking. I'm sure the salt water could be eating up the seals. I'm going to buy a new motor. It is an AO Smith, 1 HP, 115/230 Volt, self priming. Any suggestions where to buy?

The salt water is not eating the seals ... likely water got in the bearings and the bearing are rusted.

I would suggest looking for a new 2-speed motor since you are replacing it. Costs a little more, but will save a significant amount of electricity by running on low speed.

Just google for the best price from a decent seller. PoolSupplyWorld seems to often have good prices and a good rep on the forum.

My last couple of pump motors have came from ebay seller at prices much lower than other sources, you do tend need to know the exact model of motor your needing though, not just the application

I can understand the urgency of needed a motor, but your $ and temp arguments do not make sense.
Running a 2 speed on low even 24/7 (which is not needed) would likely use less electricity than your 1 speed for part of the day.
And I do not understand what only running during the day has to do with keeping the temperature down.

jblizzle said:
I can understand the urgency of needed a motor, but your $ and temp arguments do not make sense.
Running a 2 speed on low even 24/7 (which is not needed) would likely use less electricity than your 1 speed for part of the day.
And I do not understand what only running during the day has to do with keeping the temperature down.
Running the pool pump with the current motor overnight causes the water temperature to be around 95-99 degrees. When I shut it off overnight, I not only save $ on electricity but also it keeps the pool temperature to be around 88-93 degrees. So that 7-10 degree water temperature difference is huge. I'm sure the 2 speed would be more effective in the long run but my marriage is more important and it is cheaper to stay married. I lose either way :lol: .

sd72667 said:
Running the pool pump with the current motor overnight causes the water temperature to be around 95-99 degrees. When I shut it off overnight, I not only save $ on electricity but also it keeps the pool temperature to be around 88-93 degrees.
....wait...wha...what am I missing? You say your pool goes up in temperature if you run the pump at night :scratch:

Do you have a heater and could it be on when your pump is on at night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
sd72667 said:
Running the pool pump with the current motor overnight causes the water temperature to be around 95-99 degrees. When I shut it off overnight, I not only save $ on electricity but also it keeps the pool temperature to be around 88-93 degrees.
....wait...wha...what am I missing? You say your pool goes up in temperature if you run the pump at night :scratch:

Do you have a heater and could it be on when your pump is on at night?
Seriously? Heater on? :roll: Why is it so hard to believe that the water temperature drops more at night when the pump isn't running :hammer: . My guess is since the pool is underground, the water tends to cool more. People also use fountains in the summer to keep the water temps down.

sd72667 said:
People also use fountains in the summer to keep the water temps down.
Fountains work because the evaporation that happens from the fine spray cools the water. They work day or night.

Leaving a pool uncovered at night also cools it due to evaporative cooling. If anything running a night will cool your pool due to the potential agitation of the water surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.