Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: **HELP** Tried the DE Trick but having issues!

1. Back To Top    #1

**HELP** Tried the DE Trick but having issues!

Pump 1 1/2HP
    Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA60D (Not sure how old the sand is. Would guess around 4yrs)
    Pool 10 -12,000 gallons

My back yard recently flooded and filled my pool with dirt. I was able to filter the dirt out, but the water was still a greenish brown from silt. I tried the trick of adding DE to the filter( I used roughly 2 1/2 cups (I think this was too much trying to get the 1psi rise). It helped clear up the pool, but now I'm having issues with the DE itself. While running the pump and filter, I can see see small amounts of DE returning to the pool from the inlets. At night I can see a lot of small particles (DE) floating in the water in the pool light. If I run the pump/filter for an extended period of time a large amount of DE will be returned to the pool all at once. This will cause it to cloud up temporarily then a large amount will float to the top of the water. (This is just like what some describe when the first add the DE to the pool)

This past Saturday, I tried vacuuming the bottom of the pool to waste (after letting it sit overnight) and backwashing the filter several times. I checked the filter to make sure the sand was at the proper level. I had to add about 35lbs to get it to the level specified in the manual.

From what I read backwashing would remove the DE. The last time I backwashed, flushed, then went back to filter, thats when the large amount of DE returned to the pool. It seems like the DE is not being removed during the backwash.

Any ideas on how to get this stuff out?? I'm about to drain/refill the pool and change the sand as a last resort.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: **HELP** Tried the DE Trick but having issues!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you check the condition of the seals in the backwash valve? If damaged that could allow dirt/DE to pass. You will almost always see stuff floating in the water at night with the light on, this is not necessarily DE.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Maybe you have a channel in the old sand, grew your own sandstone with the silt or something. Have you tried the deep cleaning with the hose? my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replys.

Yes it was DE returning to the pool. I know this because a large majority floated to the top of the water again. After letting the pool sit without filtering yesterday I didn't see anything suspended in the water with the the pool light on last night. This makes me feel good that the DE is settling to the bottom.

I have not tried the trick with the garden hose. One thing to note, when I open the filter to add the sand the water in it seemed murky even after backwashing and flushing and there was some larger debris (pine needles, ect about 2-3 inches in length) on top of the sand. I remember thinking that I thought the backwashing should remove this.

Per the advice of a friend that used to work for a pool company, he said to vacuum the pool to waste then change the sand. I have ordered new laterals for the filter and I'm going to change the sand this weekend. Till then I'm going to try to vacuum the bottom to waste, then try the garden hose trick and see where that gets me.

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Florida

While I don't know what area of the country you're in, and I haven't dealt with a sand filter in 40 years, I have had a DE filter. I'm not aware that DE floats on the surface very much, so I must wonder if, just maybe, you are seeing some DE mixed with a lot of pollen. Here in south Florida, that's a common occurence in the spring, especially in May. DE usually sinks or is suspended, but the floating stuff is usually pollen. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with getting it clear.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

6. Back To Top    #6

Suburbs of Chicago

I am new to this site, but I did have a similar issue with just sand returning to the pool. Maybe after you added that additional 35lbs of sand you could have possibly broke a lateral?
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG
    Pool Size: 16500 gallons
    Filter: Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter
    Pump: Hayward 1 HP Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think I broke one adding the sand. I have the same symptoms before and after adding the sand. I did however order all new laterals and will be changing those when I change the sand. I figured while I'm in there why not change them for $30 Also I'm in Nashville TN.

8. Back To Top    #8

So this past weekend I changed the sand and the laterals. The laterals look just as good as new, but I changed them anyway since I had them. The sand was in bad shape. It was very dark and contained organic matter on the outsides and the bottom of the filter. Unfortunately my yard flooded again (not as bad as last time) so the water was pretty dirty. The pool cleaned up in about 3 days, so the new sand worked great!

I however still have the DE issued. Not as bad now. Before I changed the sand, I vacuumed the pool to waste. I was hoping this would get completely rid of the DE but it has not. I'm not getting a large quantity like before (It's not floating to the top), but I can see it coming out of the returns and suspended in the water through the pool light. I just purchased the slime bag, so hopefully this and continued backwashing will help me get rid of the rest. I'll post up after I get the slime bag and filter for a couple of days.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

This entire thread does not mention water chemistry and I would suggest the majority, if not all, of your filter issues revolve around your water chemistry. Can you post test results?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Just wanted to follow up on this. Purchased the Slim Bag and pool cleared right up. Thanks for the help everyone!