Mar 12, 2013
Jacksonville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello,

Brand new homeowner which came with an AG 12k gal pool. So, new pool owner as well. It's an older pool and since we bought the home in the winter...seems the previous owner decided it wasn't worth closing properly since he was leaving anyway.

So, I've probably spent about $900 on equipment, chemicals, service, etc. Not to mention, several hours of work cleaning, maintenance, learning, etc. Haven't even swam in it yet.

I have been able to figure out just about everything so far but I've become stump on something and hoping there is a DIY fix easier than what I have in mind.

I noticed that the return is leaking on the outside wall. It seems to me it's been leaking for awhile because part of the wall is starting to wear away. I checked the return on the water side of the pool and the gasket (I think that's what it is) behind the return came out a little and disintegrated as I touched it. My thinking was that I would have to bring the water down past the return and replace it with a new one.

But, I was HOPING there might be a better way and am requesting any advice on this. Is there any type of sealant that adheres to wet surfaces that I could put on the outside wall that would stop the water from flowing?

I would suggest you disassemble the return on both sides (yes drain to do so) and replace the gasket and any cracked pieces.

Dennis - I hope you have read Pool School - at least we can save you money going forward on the chemical aspect!

Welcome to TFP :)

Thank you for the reply. After another search of the internet, there seems to be something out there called pool putty. Anyone familiar with this and think it could help me temporarily at least?

DennisD said:
Thank you for the reply. After another search of the internet, there seems to be something out there called pool putty. Anyone familiar with this and think it could help me temporarily at least?
It won't stick to the vinyl. Just bite the bullet and do it right. If it was me, and I already had the water drained down, I'd change both wall fittings. They're probably both the same age...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.