Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reason for location of SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Reason for location of SWG?

Hi,

When we had our pool solar installed a few years ago, they installed it after the existing filter and SWG, like this...

Pump-Filter-SWG-Solar-Pool

I've since learned that the SWG should be after the filter and the solar.

I may replace my SWG soon and putting it anywhere other than were it is now will be a challenge because of how tight all of the piping is. I'm curious why the SWG should be the last item. Does it decrease the life of the cell or make it less efficient if placed before the solar?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reason for location of SWG?

As I understand it, the reason to have it last before the pool, is that decreases the chance of hydrogen gas build up in the plumbing. Hydrogen gas is very flammable.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Usually it is last for a few reasons ... get the high FC water mixed into the bulk of the water, but the main reason is that you can get a build-up of explosive hydrogen gas if there are places for it to get trapped ... like in the solar panels.

I would try to change it ... post up pictures if you want suggestions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the information! Here is a pic of my setup. The SWG is below the incoming filter line. After the SWG is the automatic valve that diverts the water to the solar panels and the pool return lines are on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Any thoughts on how I can get the SWG in the right location, preferably without having to re-plumb the entire setup?

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Makes sense after seeing the pad. They installed the SWCG where they had room. Personally I'd leave it alone if it's working fine. "If it isn't broken don't fix it."
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.

Is the hydrogen buildup one of those theoretical problems or have systems actually caught fire/exploded from having the SWG in the wrong order?

8. Back To Top    #8

It's very much real. I found a filter lid 3 housed down....
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not positive, but the SWCG is after the filter, but before the solar. It's in the correct position if solar was added later. Isn't there a valve up in the solar panels that bleeds off air, it would bleed of any hydrogen gas also.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Poolsean, was the SWG before or after the filter on the one you mention?

bobodaclown, I think I found the valve you mentioned. I've attached a couple of pics.

The bottom line is that if the SWG location is dangerous, I'll figure out a way to move it, but if it is safe, I'd rather not have to do it. (It has been there almost 5 years before I started researching replacing the SWG and found all the instructions about it being last in the path.)

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images