Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock process for people with day jobs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock process for people with day jobs?

I was just wondering:

I have been shocking my pool because I am not passing the OFC loss test (losing 2 ppm overnight). But I have to go to work! So I bump it up very high in the morning before I leave, but when I return home, the FC is always below shock level. It seems the higher I raise the FC, the more drastically it drops during the day. I've been going at this for two weeks now and I have run out of testing agents and re-ordered, got those and re-started, and poured through about 20 gallons of bleach. On weekends I can keep it above shock, but when Monday rolls around I have to go to work, and it falls back down again.

So my question is: Is it impossible to do this unless you are sitting around monitoring it all day for several days? And, am I wasting my time and money because I can't be here all day and I am just spinning my wheels? My water is crystal clear, and as mentioned my OFC loss is 2 ppm. It was much higher, around 6 ppm loss until last night when I only got 2 ppm loss.

CYA 40
    FC normally 6, shocking between 16-20
    CC 0
    PH normally 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 300
    Test Kit: Taylor K-2006
    Pool:In ground/Pebble/16,000 gal/Cartridge Filter/Pool Built appr. 1995-2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock process for people with day jobs?

You will still make progress, just a little slower. Generally, you lose a certain % of FC to the sun that depends on your CYA level ... so the higher you raise the FC, the more you will lose to the sun.

Sounds like you are getting closer to eliminating whatever is consuming your FC at night. I agree it can be frustrating, I pass the OCLT, but the FC loss during the day seems to be more than it should be ... but I have a LOT of AZ sun, so likely just need to raise the CYA a bit more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Burn up some vacation time.

It does sound like you're getting closer. Got a nearby retired neighbor who could come over at noon and pour in a jug? Or a stay-at-home mom? I hesitate to suggest that, though, because then you'd feel obligated to invite her and her kids over to go swimming...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard: I could pay them to haul away the all the bleach jugs too!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ecowolf
    Richard: I could pay them to haul away the all the bleach jugs too!
    LOL. My wife literally just sent me a IM complaining about all the bleach bottles filling up the recycling bin and asking how the forum suggests dealing with that .... I said "Get a SWG"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd ask the grade schools and preschools in the area if they have a use for the empty jugs. Some kind of arts and crafts project, perhaps? Or slice off the tops and use them as planters, or to hold the rinse water while watercolor painting, mixing papermache or fingerpaint in a disposable bucket...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Funny you should mention that Richard. I am a teacher at an art school! Why didn't I think of that?

Seriously though: So am I correct in understanding that shocking like this still gradually chips away at the problem even if it dips below shock level for a couple of hours?

8. Back To Top    #8

Chipper Shredder?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm in the same boat! Opened the pool a couple weeks ago and hit it hard on the weekends. I add some bleach in the morning and again after work during the week. Still a bit cold to swim anyway and I'm real close on clarity and OCLT. Should be perfect by memorial day!
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Went thru gallons of chlorine last year. This year I tried the "close late,,open early" way. Based more on water temp than the month or day. Opened at 58 degrees and had just a little algae started. I was easy to clear and took lots less chlorine than waiting too late like I did last year........ Guess it's the way to go..... I know it's too late this year but give it a try starting with this years closing....... You're getting there just keep at it.
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

11. Back To Top    #11

Same boat here. I work M-F, we're emergency response so if emergency projects starts I go until the project finishes. I test in the morning, top it off as I should ~ add extra for the day & then test when I come home, add more and test at bedtime., adding more if necessary. I go by the afternoon's prior burn off and the weather to determine how much extra to give it at the next dose for while I am gone.

Only been since Saturday that I got my CYA in ~ kids feel like it is taking forever & are discourage we are still seeing so much murkiness. I just told them they had to have patience & that it will eventually clear. When the cover is off though, they don't care what the water temp is or what chemicals are in it ~ they want to swim.

Really though I don't want anyone dumping anything in or testing besides myself~ opens too many doors for a setback. So with that I just do the best I can and it seems I find a bit of religion ~ as I start "praying" it will clear & quickly. I am anticipating a couple nice mixed drinks and some good tunes in sparkling water~ it really can't clear fast enough for me either
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

12. Back To Top    #12

As someone who also works in an office, I understand this dilemma. I'll throw some ideas on the table and perhaps one or more will work for you. Disclaimer: Some of these ideas will not necessarily be convenient, but just think...it's only temporary

Work From Home (WFH) for a few days
    Come home for lunch, assuming you don't have a killer commute.
    Wake up two hours before you leave for the day. This will allow you to get two tests/dosages in before you leave.
    Burn a few vacation days as Richard320 suggested.
    Work half days. Several companies allow their employees to use PTO on a half-day basis
    Work the morning in the office and the afternoon from home
    Is there a trusted teen / friend nearby that can test/dose during the day? You could compensate them by $ and/or throwing a pool party when the pool is ready.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Silly question but are you shocking in the evening? If you hit it hard in the evening and take the sunlight out of the equation?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

Poolmom: Yes, I am shocking in the evening, but at "normal schock levels" does bumping it higher do any good? I assumed shock level was shock level and that was it. Bad assumption?

15. Back To Top    #15

Are you shocking once or are you testing hourly in the evening until bed? No normal levels suffice.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

16. Back To Top    #16

A little of both. At first I was just testing after the sun went down, figuring that was a good base-line, then I noticed how much I was losing even after sundown and I started feeding it bleach even after sundown and then testing before bed time. I'm getting the sinking feeling I've been doing something wrong....

17. Back To Top    #17

K lets review your CYA level - how confident are you in the result? How did you test it?

18. Back To Top    #18

It has been a bit strange. Last year after several partial drains and refills I got it down to 45 and it stayed there consistently. This year at opening it was at 40, which seemed a bit odd, but I figured maybe I had more splash-out than I realized or something. I tested it a few days ago and it filled the whole tube and the dot never dissappeared. I then found a small leak in the heater connection and figured the water loss there was causing me to add more water than normal and drop the CYA. I chlorinated once with dicholor to bump it back up, and the next time I tested it was somewhere between 30 and 40, so I rounded up to 40. Tested again recently and got the same result. Maybe that one weird reading I made a mistake, I don't know. But the whole time I have been shocking based on 40, to be on the aggressive side.

I am testing with a Taylor test kit, and have read all instructions, watched all the videos, and read all the posts on here I could find about testing CYA; waist level, north light, etc.

19. Back To Top    #19

Two weeks seems like a long time to be in the shock process. Your pool seems like a good candidate for a night time nuking. If all your tests are correct and your equipment is solid I would just blast the heck out if at night. Or even a weekend of nuking if you've got something really nasty in there. It seems like you are just spinning your wheels at this point or something is fouled with your testing. Hoefully you get it knocked out soon.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall