6-way valve trouble

May 19, 2013
I have a 16'x48" summer escapes, looks like a intek ultra frame. I replaced the pump & filter on it with a columbia I found on ebay like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2HP-Above-G...073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af17bb571

Well it worked awesome last year kept the pool nice and clean. Well when winter came along I drain the filter set the valve to winter and moved the pump into the garage but left the filter out, probably a mistake. Anyway the only trouble I had prior to today with it was it was too powerful for the skimmer that came with the pool I couldn't vac without crushing the old cartridge tube(lower portion of skimmer).

Anyway getting the pool around & ready this year I installed a hayward through the wall skimmer box that's hopefully stronger than the old one. I topped off the pool and went to start up the filter and I have water coming out of the waste discharge and nothing coming out of the return. I took off the return line to make sure nothing was in it its clear. I'm not sure if the valve is just failing to close all the way or stuck or what???
I have no problems tearing it apart if it needs it but I need some guidance.

This is what it looks like

I found some debris in there but not a whole lot and not enough that I would think that it would've kept the plate from seating.

This is what it's doing while set to filter

Is it possible for that "plate"(gray thing) to have shifted?

Wow. That is a lot of water. That does not seem like a little leak. I do not think the grey plate could shift relative to the handle. It can be possible to put the entire top back on wrong, but it looks like you have it lined up correctly based on the flat part next to the screw by the backwash port.

Have you tried other positions on the valve to see what happens?

Yeah I've tried the other positions and the only one that seems right is "Waste"

This picture is exactly how its oriented when set to filter:

This is how I think the filter works based on the holes in the lower portion

If thats correct it seems like that plate is off almost 180 ?

I can not picture all the positions. I do know that for WASTE, the hole in the plate should be over the IN from the pump.

In your picture with the water gushing it does not look like the plate is seated (the tab does not look like it is all the way in the bottom of the slot). Can you lift the handle to force it down? Maybe something is wrong with the spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not the spring turns out I'm a real maroon as bugs bunny would say. I forgot I turn the filter around when I was draining it before winter and didn't double check everything. I had one hose on the wrong side of the valve. Anyway thanks for the advice and on the plus side I got really comfortable with dismantling the valve assy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.