Total new pool owners with newbie questions

May 20, 2013
I'm not even into the chemical questions yet because honestly, there's plenty of reading in pool school that looks like it can educate me on most of that... However, there are a few potentially basic structure/equipment questions that I am looking to get answered...

The previous owner did not leave an automatic pressure cleaner, but we have a separate Polaris pump. Any idea how to figure out which inlet is the polaris? Also, when purchasing a new pressure cleaner is there any difference in connectors that we need to worry about? Looks like we have one pipe on the side closed off with a cap with a square grip protruding from it - is that potentially my polaris return?

Also - our pool inspector says the skimmer is missing a weir door - and our pool inlets are missing eyeballs - Is this as simple as just ordering these things from Amazon and screwing them in? Or is there some special consideration I need to be aware of?

Finally - the inspection also said we were missing an anti-siphon on the hose bib. No idea what that is-is that important to us?

Thanks for entertaining the new guy's questions...
Cameron

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I can only help accurately with the eyball fittings and weir door.

If the return holes are threaded inside, there's about a 99% chance new eyeballs will fit with no modification.

The weir door usually goes in rather easily. Identifying the skimmer so you can get the right door is sometimes a hassle.
The weir is quite important and should be installed.

Welcome!! :wave:
truckpoetry said:
I'm not even into the chemical questions yet because honestly, there's plenty of reading in pool school that looks like it can educate me on most of that... However, there are a few potentially basic structure/equipment questions that I am looking to get answered...

The previous owner did not leave an automatic pressure cleaner, but we have a separate Polaris pump. Any idea how to figure out which inlet is the polaris? Also, when purchasing a new pressure cleaner is there any difference in connectors that we need to worry about? Looks like we have one pipe on the side closed off with a cap with a square grip protruding from it - is that potentially my polaris return?
Likely. I don't have an auto cleaner, so I can't really help. But I did get to go through the fun f figuring out which ports went to which valves and which pump and all that. Make a sketch - you'll never remember!

Also - our pool inspector says the skimmer is missing a weir door - and our pool inlets are missing eyeballs - Is this as simple as just ordering these things from Amazon and screwing them in? Or is there some special consideration I need to be aware of?
Hunt for brand names and part numbers on the skimmer housing and lid. Measure the opening. Look for mounting ears or holes where the weir should go. Then start googling. A lot of the parts diagrams give dimensions for the replacement pieces. The eyeballs, as far as I know, are pretty standard stuff. But I've never had to shop for them, so take what I say about those with a grain of salt.
Finally - the inspection also said we were missing an anti-siphon on the hose bib. No idea what that is-is that important to us?

Thanks for entertaining the new guy's questions...
Cameron
Maybe that's something in the local building code? All they're really after is some way to stop the flow if the water pressure in the system drops while you're filling the pool so you don't siphon the pool water into the main. http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-DripMaster- ... B002BXKMXO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.