any tips to trowel a sand bottom pool?

Apr 22, 2013
Hey guys, I have another thread covering my rebuild, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips for re-troweling the hopper of my 16x36 vinyl IGP. Long island is pretty much a giant sand bar, and nearly every vinyl pool Ive ever seen has a simple sand bottom, including mine. The trouble is that the sand does not want to stay in place. Even after a healthy dousing with the garden hose, when i try to trowel it, the top scrapes off and loose sand underneath pours out.

I have made a small stride in fixing this by shoveling the loose dry sand from the deep end into the shallow end which was a couple inches low anyway. Then I placed a yard of new mason's sand into the deep end, which seems to pack down slightly better.

I was just wondering if there were any tips or tricks to troweling out the sand bottom pools? Should I simply wait for a few days of heavy rain when the ground will be fully saturated? Do I simply need to spend more than 20 minutes with the garden hose? Can I add anything to the water to make the sand a bit more tacky? Maybe biodegradable car was soap or something to give the sand a bit thicker consistency? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bama Rambler said:
You need to soak it deeper so it sticks together deeper. You may even need to set a sprinkler up and soak it good.
Thanks, that's what I figured. Maybe ill pick up a cheap oscillating sprinkler, unless I can time it perfectly after a good rainfall. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.