Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner, New Water....what to do now?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner, New Water....what to do now?

Hi everyone! I am excited to try the BBB method after a few years of baquicil my wallet and I have had enough!! We are having to put in a new liner this year and will have water delivered. I have a 24 ft above ground, 13,500 gallons. What will I need to do next?
    Kristen
    14,600 gallon AG 24ft 52 in

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner, New Water....what to do now?

Welcome to TFP!!

1. Read Pool School
    2. Order one of the recommended test kits
    3. Post test results when the pool is full we can help guide you with what needs to be adjusted.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!

1. Read Pool School
    2. Order one of the recommended test kits
    3. Post test results when the pool is full we can help guide you with what needs to be adjusted.
    I'd reverse 1 &2 myself.

And test the fill water, so you'll have an idea of what you'll be needing. It will give you time to shop for bargains and ask for feedback on questionable things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, sounds like they had enough time to read and come to the realization that they need a good test kit before the pool is full
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, got the test kit, TF100, added 4 1/2 lbs of stabilizer last night and a gallon of bleach. This evening I am showing 3 Cl, 6.8 ph. FC is 5.5
    Kristen

6. Back To Top    #6

Raise that PH! 6.8 is low and it might actually be lower than 6.8. Add Borax (20 Mule Team) to target 7.5 (Poolcalculator.com to find dose). Please post your TA number as well.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks vette! How/where should I add the borax?
    Kristen

8. Back To Top    #8

Everyone has an opinion about that. I personally pour it right next to the return eye. That dissolves it quickly and disperses it throughout the pool. Some people like to walk around the pool and "throw" it around to scatter it evenly around. Either method works. I don't nor do I recommend adding any chemicals via the skimmer.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, so when I did the TA test it really looks more pink than red, but it didn't change in color between 5 and 7 drops, so TA is 50-70 I guess
    Kristen

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I just wanted the ballpark figure since you are not going to play with TA until everything else it perfect. Adding Borax will slightly raise TA anyways.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks! Going to add the borax now. So if my FC is 5.5, where do I want it to be as far as adding more bleach this evening? Oh and can I add the borax and then bleach one right after the other?
    Kristen

12. Back To Top    #12

I assume your CYA is 40 (if your 4.5 pounds of stabilizer is dissolved, then that is what it'll be). I'd dose to 7 (I have no clue how much sunlight your pool gets into the day, you'll have to test tomorrow evening again to see how much FC you lost during the day, that'll help you determine how much to dose in the future).

You can add the 2 back to back, but there is no reason to. 5.5 FC is fine for now, so I'd personally add the Borax, wait a little bit, then add your nightly chlorine dose.

13. Back To Top    #13

Didn't test last night but did add bleach. Had a late night at a theme park was exhausted when I came in around 1am. Tested tonight:

CL 2-4
    PH 7.2
    FC 2.5

Adding bleach and borax according to the pool calculator. Pool is crystal clear. What else should I be doing?
    Kristen

14. Back To Top    #14

Sounds like you should be swimming
    Have you done a full set of tests yet?

A week after the CYA addition, test that one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

I haven't done the full set of tests yet, was waiting a couple more days before checking cya. Last night my ph was the same as the prev night even though I added the borax according to the calculator. My FC was 3 last night so I added more bleach, I had the goal set to 7 on the calculator. Is it unusual for it to not be higher than that. I added a gallon last night, a little over a gallon the night before. Pool is crystal clear, water is getting warmer, kids weren't quite as blue swimming yesterday.
    Kristen

16. Back To Top    #16

From what i read on here people loose 2-3 PPM of Chlorine to the sunlight each day. I see you lost 4, not sure if that is an issue, could be within the accuracy of the test.

If your PH tested at 6.8 and you added Borax to raise it, but didn't hit the target, your PH was really less than 6.8, so you'll need to do it again. The test shows PH <6.8 as 6.8. I've had to do this but in the opposite direction, trying to get my PH down with MA.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

17. Back To Top    #17

As of last night my fc was 3, cl 3 and ph was 7.5. CYA was 40. The calculator is showing almost a gallon a day to replenish and get to 7fc. Does that sound about right? Pool looks great, just don't want to over do it if it's not needed.

---I think I may have found my issue...we have no shade and the sun is on the pool everyday until about 6pm I think. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and using chlorine tabs in a floating chlorinator while gone, wonder if that will raise the cya enough in a weeks time of if I should raise it more before then. I don't want it to get too high and have to drain though, that scares me.
    Kristen

18. Back To Top    #18

Use the bottom of poolcalculator to tell you how much CYA each 7-8oz puck of trichlor will add.

What strength of bleach are you using? To get a 4ppm rise, you would need 81 oz of 8.25% or 112 oz of 6%
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm using 5.35 I think, I know it's 5 something.
    Kristen