How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winter

gg10

Feb 14, 2013
Hi,

The stone feature around my pool has white build up at the water line (Probably due to hight pH, see my previous post where I mentioned high pH). Also there are black & green stains on the top side of stones. I am adding pictures. When I bought the house 6 months ago the stones were super clean and looked beautiful.
So how do I
1. Clean the white stains and black/green buildup up?
2. And how do I prevent it from happening again? Is there a paint or something that makes them look nice and also prevents the build up in future?

I tried using orange oil on a small area with green/black buildup and scrubbing with metal brush, it seemed to help but I was worried if it will damage the stones and the green residue dripping in water.

Attachments

• IMG_00000069.jpg
    IMG_00000069.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_00000070.jpg
    IMG_00000070.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_00000072.jpg
    IMG_00000072.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 203
Re: How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winte

Pictures are kind of fuzzy, looks like lichen growing on real rocks, goggle images "lichen". So in real life it takes away other than adds to the look?

Pressure washing will be the best option, especially for the algae / lichen! But, IMO I think the color of the lichen is appealing. ..just be careful with the pressure washing (the moss rock is fairly soft). Regarding a preventative measure, you could look into sealing the rock; same as you would if the pool was salt-water.

So will the pressure washing get rid of white water line also or that will just help with algae? And what did you mean by being careful due moss rock being soft? I don't know much about it so asking.
And could you please also explain more about sealing the rock and how is that done. My pool is salt water pool but I am not the first owner.

gg10 said:
So will the pressure washing get rid of white water line also or that will just help with algae? And what did you mean by being careful due moss rock being soft? I don't know much about it so asking.
And could you please also explain more about sealing the rock and how is that done. My pool is salt water pool but I am not the first owner.
Scale is difficult and I've seen different types around pools. Some very thick and dense, almost like calcium carbonate seen in caves. That stufff looks tough to remove. But, from your pictures, it appears just strong water pressure would remove that layer; if you have access to a pressure washer, it's worth a try.
Regarding, my comments on the Moss-Rock. They are commonly used for pools, mainly because of their abundance (and they are cheap). But they're also soft and porous, almost like sandstone; much less dense than granite or river rock. There are also different grades, some denser than others. Over time the moss rock tends to degrade, some call it "leaching"; it will show up as a powder/ dirt on the pool floor or deck. Because the rock is softter, I would use caution when blasting it with water (same as you would when power-washing a concrete driveway). Just enough pressure to blast the stains/algae/scale, etc..., but not enough to remove too much base rock (or mortar on your drive). Lot's of controversey on using natural stone in/around SWG pools. Some builders refuse to do it, others say it's ok as long as you monitor pH closely and/or seal the rock (some stress to do it annually). My pool is not SWG, but my thoughts are somewhere in between. Either way, I dont think it's a bad a idea to seal the rock and i may seal mine at some point. My only concern with a sealer, is that it should not flake and make it necessary to retreat often. I've heard good results from DuPont's Stonetech sealer that resists salt-water. Anway, sorry for the rambling and good luck with the rock :goodjob:

BTW would I find the DuPont's Stonetech sealer at home Depot or Lowes. If not then does anyone know where can I find them in North Dallas.

Thanks for your response. I am going to try the stuff and pressure was first.

I hope it worked for you. As an FYI, I recently power washed the exact same kind of moss rock with the exact same kind of issue. It worked beautifully...BUT...it also left a significant amount of sediment in my pool. Over a month later I am still trying to get that sandy silt out of the pool. I only power washed about a third of the rock and now I'm afraid to do the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.