Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winter

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winter

Hi,

The stone feature around my pool has white build up at the water line (Probably due to hight pH, see my previous post where I mentioned high pH). Also there are black & green stains on the top side of stones. I am adding pictures. When I bought the house 6 months ago the stones were super clean and looked beautiful.
    So how do I
    1. Clean the white stains and black/green buildup up?
    2. And how do I prevent it from happening again? Is there a paint or something that makes them look nice and also prevents the build up in future?

I tried using orange oil on a small area with green/black buildup and scrubbing with metal brush, it seemed to help but I was worried if it will damage the stones and the green residue dripping in water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-Ground Pool- 16000 Gallons, Spa, AO Smith Century Centurion Single Speed Pump 2.4 HP USN1202, Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward D.E Pro Grid Filter DE6020, Aqua Collection Turbo Cell T-15, Aqua Logic Automation Control, Hayward Heater H Series H400, Hayward Pool Vac Classic, Spa Air Blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winte

Pictures are kind of fuzzy, looks like lichen growing on real rocks, goggle images "lichen". So in real life it takes away other than adds to the look?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure washing will be the best option, especially for the algae / lichen! But, IMO I think the color of the lichen is appealing. ..just be careful with the pressure washing (the moss rock is fairly soft). Regarding a preventative measure, you could look into sealing the rock; same as you would if the pool was salt-water.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

4. Back To Top    #4

So will the pressure washing get rid of white water line also or that will just help with algae? And what did you mean by being careful due moss rock being soft? I don't know much about it so asking.
    And could you please also explain more about sealing the rock and how is that done. My pool is salt water pool but I am not the first owner.
    In-Ground Pool- 16000 Gallons, Spa, AO Smith Century Centurion Single Speed Pump 2.4 HP USN1202, Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward D.E Pro Grid Filter DE6020, Aqua Collection Turbo Cell T-15, Aqua Logic Automation Control, Hayward Heater H Series H400, Hayward Pool Vac Classic, Spa Air Blower

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gg10
    So will the pressure washing get rid of white water line also or that will just help with algae? And what did you mean by being careful due moss rock being soft? I don't know much about it so asking.
    And could you please also explain more about sealing the rock and how is that done. My pool is salt water pool but I am not the first owner.
    Scale is difficult and I've seen different types around pools. Some very thick and dense, almost like calcium carbonate seen in caves. That stufff looks tough to remove. But, from your pictures, it appears just strong water pressure would remove that layer; if you have access to a pressure washer, it's worth a try.
    Regarding, my comments on the Moss-Rock. They are commonly used for pools, mainly because of their abundance (and they are cheap). But they're also soft and porous, almost like sandstone; much less dense than granite or river rock. There are also different grades, some denser than others. Over time the moss rock tends to degrade, some call it "leaching"; it will show up as a powder/ dirt on the pool floor or deck. Because the rock is softter, I would use caution when blasting it with water (same as you would when power-washing a concrete driveway). Just enough pressure to blast the stains/algae/scale, etc..., but not enough to remove too much base rock (or mortar on your drive). Lot's of controversey on using natural stone in/around SWG pools. Some builders refuse to do it, others say it's ok as long as you monitor pH closely and/or seal the rock (some stress to do it annually). My pool is not SWG, but my thoughts are somewhere in between. Either way, I dont think it's a bad a idea to seal the rock and i may seal mine at some point. My only concern with a sealer, is that it should not flake and make it necessary to retreat often. I've heard good results from DuPont's Stonetech sealer that resists salt-water. Anway, sorry for the rambling and good luck with the rock
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your response. I am going to try the stuff and pressure was first.

7. Back To Top    #7

BTW would I find the DuPont's Stonetech sealer at home Depot or Lowes. If not then does anyone know where can I find them in North Dallas.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gg10 View Post
    Thanks for your response. I am going to try the stuff and pressure was first.
    I hope it worked for you. As an FYI, I recently power washed the exact same kind of moss rock with the exact same kind of issue. It worked beautifully...BUT...it also left a significant amount of sediment in my pool. Over a month later I am still trying to get that sandy silt out of the pool. I only power washed about a third of the rock and now I'm afraid to do the rest.

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: How to clean the stone feature having buildup thru winter

I used SX5000 for the stone waterfall I have. It is for saltwater applications and penetrates the surface. http://www.foundationarmor.com/
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)