Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dual main drain working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dual main drain working?

How do you know that your dual main drains are working properly? The problem that I have is to the right and to the left of the skimmer there is always dirt on the floor of my pool. I also live on a corner lot, busy road... I know I get lots of dirt from that..
    I vacuum at least 3 to 4 hours a week

Thanks
    10,400k, AG 21 round, 1.0HP Waterway pump cartridge filter. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dual main drain working?

Floor drains are designed to appear to have no/low flow to reduce entrapment dangers.

If you can close off the skimmer line and still have water moving through the pump ... then the floor is working.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

First, look at your plumbing and see if there are any valves you don't understand. Maybe the drains are off.

If there is no separate pipe for the drains, pull the skimmer basket and see if there is one open hole or two underneath, and is there a little flying saucer looking thing inside. Report back and we'll go on from there.

Pictures are always helpful when trying to decipher plumbing arrangements.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the info... put the valve on full second port which is the main drain and pump had flow so it works..
    didn't think to put on full main drain and little skimmer flow... always had it on high skimmer and little main drain..

skimmer line goes to main drain pipe then to pump..

Thanks so much for all the info.. You all rock here....
    10,400k, AG 21 round, 1.0HP Waterway pump cartridge filter. TF-100