Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can this check valve be reused?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can this check valve be reused?

Hi All:

I need to move this return line for the solar system im installing so I can bypass the gas heater which is downline of this checkvalve but the pool builder left no room to cut this checkvalve and reuse. The valve will be replace with an auto control and there is enough pipe to cut and run a straight line to heater but the T going to the check valve is tight. Can this be salvaged or will I be needing a new one?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 vinyl w salt located north nj. Waterfall, spillover spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can this check valve be reused?

I think you are not getting responses because no one can see the other side.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I understand what you're saying. I don't see any way the check valve can be salvaged when it's glued so close to the tee. It's a pity to have to junk a $45 valve like that. Also noticed that the other check valve is placed between the pump and the filter. I believe a optimal place would be just after the filter. That way when the solar system drains down no air would get in your filter. The other check valve should be in the solar outlet right before it rejoins the system plumbing after the heater. Also i believe you can still use that 3-way valve. The actuator mounts on top of it.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You can re-use the check valve. You will have to use a 2" or 2.5" coupler (not sure what size pipe you have) with solvent to the outside of the check valve and then a reducer back down to the pipe size.

Not sure how you can salvage that T though without reaming out the old pipe from the inside.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's right jblizzle. I forgot the outside of the check valve and the 3-way valve is the same as a 2 1/2" pipe. reducers would salvage the valves.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Great. Thanks guys!
    25,000 vinyl w salt located north nj. Waterfall, spillover spa, Polaris 280