Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I really dump 800 lbs of salt into my pool all at once?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I really dump 800 lbs of salt into my pool all at once?

I have installed a brand new liner and a Jandy aquapure 35 swg on my pool. I have added borax, stabilizer and bleach. As far as I can understand, the Jandy book is saying to just distribute the salt (800 + lbs) around the pool. I am concerned about that salt sitting on my new liner...anyone know what the right way is to do this? I am seriously concerned about having a new liner with all that salt just sitting there. We also installed a second return on the far side of the pool this year so the circulation will be much better than it was . I need some advice please.....
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I really dump 800 lbs of salt into my pool all at onc

I am going to go change my signature but for the record...we just filled the pool so the water is not 2 years old, also it is a 33 ft pool, not 34 and the pool calculator says it is 26,500 gallons of water...
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

3. Back To Top    #3

Just dump it in and stir it around a bit. Salt is the one thing that won't harm the liner by sitting in piles on it.

A couple of things you want to do before dumping all that salt in there is;
    1) have the water tested for salt. New water rarely has zero salt.

2) Be sure the swg is turned off before you add it and at least 24 hours after it's dissolved.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

So, stir with the broom I guess and then occasionally go stir some more? It won't rub into the liner?
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

5. Back To Top    #5

Just kinda stir it around with the net or even your feet. It won't hurt to jut leave it sit, but it'll dissolve a bit faster if you swish it around a bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Test prior as stated... and re-check your calculations... I tested and found out I had already 400ppm of salt. The calcs said I needed about 600 pounds to get to 3500ppm... I dumped in 550 pounds and found out I overshot the salt amount by 500ppm. If anything, I would withhold about 3-4 bags.. then retest before you dump in the rest.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have kids, or have kids over to swim, dump in 750 and save 50 lbs for this

where-do-you-put-the-salt-skimmer-or-pool-t47475.html?hilit=Diamond%20Day

5th post in that thread
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, realize you can use solar salt instead of the pool salt and save a good bit of money ... just will dissolve a little slower, but still within a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I've always used pellets from the hardware/big box store, though my usage is 200lbs so maybe this method won't scale up to 800...

With the pellets they dissolve much faster with a water current. I took a couple old t-shirts, tied off the bottom and stuck a pool noodle through the arm holes. I then poured in (through the neck) half a bag (20lbs) to each, and float them in the pool with a short length of cord to keep them right in front of the water return. They dissolve very rapidly, and then I just pour more salt in until I reach the required amount.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CindyG1
    I am going to go change my signature but for the record...we just filled the pool so the water is not 2 years old, also it is a 33 ft pool, not 34 and the pool calculator says it is 26,500 gallons of water...
    I think your volume is more like 24500 gallons, since you probably only have a water depth of 46" on average.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by atitus74
    I've always used pellets from the hardware/big box store, though my usage is 200lbs so maybe this method won't scale up to 800...

With the pellets they dissolve much faster with a water current. I took a couple old t-shirts, tied off the bottom and stuck a pool noodle through the arm holes. I then poured in (through the neck) half a bag (20lbs) to each, and float them in the pool with a short length of cord to keep them right in front of the water return. They dissolve very rapidly, and then I just pour more salt in until I reach the required amount.
    I would use the crystals, since they are cheaper than the formed pellets (and are less likely to have additives). When I top off each season with the crystals, within an hour or so they have disappeared.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

OK, I am going to dump about 400 lbs and when it is dissolved I will add 100 lbs and test , etc. .. I am nervous ,but will do ...the water temp is only at 70 degrees right now so no one wants to swim yet..We had 8 inches of rain here in the Ga mountains in the last 24 hours so it's kinda chilly. I am going to put the solar cover on but first I need to get the water balanced and the salt in...
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

13. Back To Top    #13

I have put in 400 lbs salt and will put the rest in tomorrow, 1 or 2 bags at a time. 2 years ago I started on this thread when my CYA was like 120 +. I ended up having to drain half of the water out of the pool to get it into reasonable limits. Thanks to this forum I have learned a lot...less is more! I can always add a little more but I don't want to drain to get it down. Many thanks to all of you who have been so very helpful and patient with my ignorance! (although now that I have added an SWG I am feeling really quite smart! LOL)
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

14. Back To Top    #14

Before you forget, change the volume in your sig.

15. Back To Top    #15

Fortunately, if you overshoot the amount of salt, SWGs tend to be forgiving. More so if you overshoot compared to not adding enough. If it's over by a couple hundred ppm you can probably get by without draining any water.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgovern
    Fortunately, if you overshoot the amount of salt, SWGs tend to be forgiving. More so if you overshoot compared to not adding enough.
    This is specifically NOT true of the intex swg. When the salt level gets high, the current draw will get too high and the transformer will burn out. My guess is that there is a safety fuse in the transformer. Unfortunately the transformer is completely encased in epoxy, and therefore not serviceable. If the salt level is too low, it simply won't come on.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for correcting me. That is definitely different than my Aqua-rite.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks guys for the info. I have held back 3 bags and will test again in the morning to see how much more to add. My SWG is a Jandy aquapure35 and it calling for 4000 ppm on the salt...I prefer to add slowly since I have had to drain the pool a lot to get my CYA under control a few years ago. Now as I mentioned, I have learned that less is more! That said...mybe I didn't learn...I added Borax this morning to up the PH and now my PH is at 8.2 or more....should have remembered that less is more...LOL
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3