Pump Recommendation

May 26, 2010
Split by moderator from HERE to avoid hijacking. jblizzle

I have one question. I have a single speed pump that I have on a timer and I run for 12 hrs a day. Which essentially is like running a two speed pump at 1/2 speed all day. Is there any advantage in using a two speed and running it all day? Is it better to have the water flowing 24/7?

Thanks.

Re: Energy Efficient Pump Recommendation

Likely you are running much longer than actually required. That said, on low speed it uses 1/4 the amount of electricity. So even running for twice as long on low, you would save 50% of the power usage.

Re: Energy Efficient Pump Recommendation

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I am not trying to hijack the thread so if I should post somewhere else please let me know. How do I figure out what I need in terms of HP and RPM? I am unclear how I would know that the low speed would be enough. I assume that I want to filter the entire the pool at least once per day.

My current setup is a 35,000 gallon True L.
Cartridge filter
Drain in deep end, one skimmer
Jacuzzi 1 HP pump
No heater (I get full sun all day)

Normally only a few hours or pump run time are required. See this article in Pool School:
pool-school/pump_run_time

Since it does not appear that you have any high flow rate needs, I would look for a 3/4-1HP 2-speed pump ... or you could just replace the motor on your existing pump if the motor is going bad ... are you having problems with it? Also the replacement motor/pump depends on how your current motor is wired. Is it 115V or 230V?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I am not having any problems with the pump but I am considering going to a two speed pump to save the cost of electricity. I am also going to switch to SWG and I wanted to do it all at the same time. One option that I do have is to just replace the motor on the pump that I already have. I am really unsure of what I should and should not do when looking for a replacement motor. The voltage to the pump is 115V. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I am converting to SWG and I would like to switch to a two speed motor (to save energy costs). I plan on purchasing a Pentair IC60 but I am unsure what to do about the pump. My first question is should I purchase a two speed motor to connect to my current pump (Jacuzzi 1 CYG-S) that is 9 years old or replace the both pump and motor. The second question is how do I pick the correct two stage pump/motor (my current setup is 115v). I think I would like to leave the pump on 24/7 on low speed and filter the entire pool at least once. Any help would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.