I'm confused!

May 22, 2012
This will be my second year with my beautiful pool. The lateral assembly on my sand filter broke, and I had to order a new one (and now I have an algae bloom...grrr). I want to put the new assembly in asap so that I can start working on the algae problem, but I noticed that the sand seems low. I have a Hayward Dreamline filter, and the manual says the sand should be 6" below the top of the filter tank. It also says I should buy No. 20 silica sand.

When I look up that sand, there are warnings all over the place that No. 20 silica sand should NOT be used for pool filters.

So what do I do? Are there two types of No. 20 silica sand?

Please help. I need to get the neon green water gone, and quick!!

I googled No. 20 silica sand, and there are tons of links for it. Several of them (I think Home Depot was one of them) said never to use it for pool filters because it is mixed with glass??? I just wanted to double check with a site I trust before I did anything so I don't damage anything.

If Hayward recommends it, I'd use it. As a matter of fact, I did use it in my first Hayward filter.

All the warnings I see refer to breathing the silica dust from silica sand. So, maybe, wear a mask when adding silica sand to your filter.

Good luck.

P.S. If you don't want to use #20 silica sand, there's always the zeolite products or glass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.