We should come up with a new term

Apr 20, 2012
Sitting around this morning killing time reading through the posts and a idea popped into my head - (brain cramp)...

So many people get confused by the term "shock" when dealing with pools, the old "product" vs. "process" concept.

I think we should adopt some new term to call the "process" that we refer to to avoid confusion....

Maybe something like "Killittillitsdead", or "Blitzkrieg" , or "Nuke" or something like that.

Any better ideas?

That is an excellent topic for discussion and one that we have talked about among the Mods more than once. I would love more input on that.

With probably 200,000 or so Pool stores out there all selling "shock", it will be hard to overcome. If we could find an alternative, I think it would clear up a ton of confusion. Including the word "process" would add definition as well. Please chime in.

Organics Eradication Process (OEP)
Pathogens Eradication Process (PEP)
Sustained Chlorine Kill (SCK)
Elevated Chlorine Procedure (ECP)
Pathogens Abatement Procedure (PAP)
Microorganism Annihilation Process (MAP)
Mysophobia Eradication Methodology (MEM)

I just went to thesaurus.com and looked at several synonyms, a lot wouldn't work but some would. Bump, Startle, Start, Turn, Stun. I kinda like Jolt.

Perhaps some combination of the below....

Abate..............Pathogens...............Process
Abolish............Bacteria.................. Procedure
Annihilate.........Microorganisms.......Method
Expunge..........Germs....................Maneuver
Extinguish........Microbs..................Operandi
Extirpate..........Organics.................Policy
Obliterate......................................Scheme
Nullify............................................Strategy
Extermination

Some of our previous behind-the-scenes musings which may provide inspiration:

SMAC: Super-elevate and Maintain Active Chlorine
SLAM: Super eLevate And Maintain ... chlorine levels
SLAM: Shock Level And Maintain
SSLAM: Super Sanitization Level and Maintain
STAMP: Shock, Test and Maintain Persistently
STATO: superchlorinate, Test, Add, Test, OCLT
STAT: superchlorinate, Test, Add, Test
CATCHIT: Check, Add, Test, Chlorinate & Hold It There
STAMP: Superchlorinate, Test, Adjust/Add, Maintain, Pass ... {I would like to replace the A with an O}

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like ones with the words sustained and superchlorinate, the reasons being sustaining seems to be one of the hardest parts of the concept to get people to understand, and secondly we already have the superchlorinate term out there as a feature on many SWG's so the term is already out there.

So maybe something like Sustained Superchlorination Protocol or just Sustained Superchlorination, SS for short

I don't really see any reason to change. You'll just have to teach everyone another term or acronym and it doesn't change the process. When folks come along and they need help and teaching, we can do that as we have done for many years. It won't change the fact that they need to learn and it won't change the subject matter of the lesson.

Green to clean is already a product, so we would just be shifting the confusion. How about Sustained Superchlorination Process, or SSP? I think that even if this doesn't clear up confusion, it still better describes the process.

257WbyMag said:
I don't really see any reason to change. You'll just have to teach everyone another term or acronym and it doesn't change the process. When folks come along and they need help and teaching, we can do that as we have done for many years. It won't change the fact that they need to learn and it won't change the subject matter of the lesson.
Yep, and it won't change the fact that the pool companies still call their product "shock" :brickwall:

AE - algae eradication
AA - algae annihilation
AKZ - algae kill zone
GTGO - get the green out
US-ultimate sanitization
KIL - kill all algae
KAO - kill all organics
STEP- STErilize Pool

Just a few.

I am perfectly fine with "shock" it's not a difficult concept to grasp. It was fun however to play around with new terms.

I'll throw in my $0.02...
• The Oxidation Process (TOP) This is what the shock process actually does
• The Sanitation Process
• The Superchlorination Process

But I'm also still fine with The Shock Process.

Chuckle.

We used to call it "nuke" in my lifeguard/pool manager days ... Cold War era ... Eek.

Shock just didn't describe how much liquid chlorine we injected....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.