grew up with pools, now IG pool owner (starting my 3r years)

May 19, 2013
South Central PA
Hi All!

My name is Bob, and I am a fairly new in-ground vinyl pool owner (starting my 3rd year). I grew up with an inground pool, so I was used to doing the basic chlorine + ph test with the red/yellow drops. Times and equipment have definitely changed a bit since then.

While this is my 3rd year owning a pool - this is my FIRST year opening it. Some history...the pool was built in 2011 by Foxx Pools, so they basically opened the pool - new water, balancing it, etc. In the fall of 2011, their technicians accidentally put some holes in the liner when they came out to try and remove liner wrinkles that were the result of some liner float caused by underground water pressure. Therefore, Foxx replaced the liner in the spring of 2012 - opening the pool NEW again.

As a result of my first pool opening [that's currently in-progress], I was told I have PHOSPHATES ( > 1000 ppb). While I have followed the pool company's instructions for removal, I decided I needed to learn more about PHOSPHATES and taking care of my pool......THAT searching is what led me to TFP!

I'm looking forward to learning alot and hopefully I can begin to help others out in the process.

I will be posting a separate question regarding my current pool opening experience.

Thanks,
Bob

Re: grew up with pools, now IG pool owner (starting my 3r ye

Welcome! :wave:

My pool is not a fresh opening, and I've never tested for phosphates in the three years I've owned it. I haven't got a clue what level I'm at, nor what is a normal parameter. Same thing for nitrates and total dissolved solids. But I've never had an algae bloom, never had anyone complain of dry skin or burning eyes, and you can toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails. I believe phosphates, nitrates, and TDS are just euphemisms for "profit boosters."

Get a good test kit, study pool school, get used to using the pool calculator, and you'll have crystal clear sparkling water that will be the envy of all who see it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Given that I have not done anything else to the pool - other than perform the phosphate removal + vacuum to waste + backwash filter - I'm a little torn on how best to proceed. I would like to immediately go the TF-100 route, but I'm afraid if I don't have the pool place do the initial opening test and get chemicals in tonight [or tomorrow at the latest], the 80+ degree weather will cause me more problems.

The testing at the pool place is free, but obviously the chemicals are not. I'm just not sure how long it would take to transition to testing/maintaining the pool myself. Without a good test kit, I can't post the standard set of CHEM #s here, so maybe I need to bite the bullet and get it up-n-running - giving me time to learn, buy the test kit, etc.

What would you guys suggest short term? Regardless, I will be getting the TF-100 and learning how to do this myself - even if I need to get the initial "opening" chemicals from Foxx.

Thanks,
Bob

The testing at the pool place is free
And worth every penny, too! :mrgreen:

Seriously, all of us on this forum started at some point naturally assuming the Pool Store is the place to go for expert help....it's not.

Pool stores testing for free is their way of suggesting chemistry for you to buy.....sometimes correct but, seemingly, not very often and frequently hurting your pool instead of helping it.

Knowing what I now know, I would never dose my pool based on pool store results.

As I commented on another post, my TF-100 should be here wed! That timing actually works out well because the pool store just told me I should wait 96 hours for the whole phosphate removal process to work its course. Then, they'll re-test the phosphates and possibly recommend more removal before shocking the pool open for the season.

So, instead of having them re-test and buying chemicals from them or ordering Frog refills online, I'm hoping to be able to determine the proper dosage for DIY!

In the meantime (i.e. today), I believe I should get some chlorine in the pool now - since it's running in the 80's this week and there's nothing in there right now - other than the phosphate remover.

Then, they'll re-test the phosphates and possibly recommend more removal
Bob, phosphates are completely irrelevant in a well-managed pool and I certainly would not recommend you spend any more money trying to reduce them.

Most of us on the forum have never tested for them nor ever intend to. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave. I definitely do NOT intend to re-test for phosphates. I just want to avoid getting any algae going - since there is no chlorine at all right now and the TF-100 probably won't be here until wed. Is it ok to let it go until then? - even though it's in the 80s during the day and I can feel that the liner is slippery (like it feels before it starts turning green).

So, if I'm picking this up, I can plug my 16K into the Pool Calculator and it should tell me how much 6% bleach to mix in, correct? I just did it and for 16,000 gals, with a starting FC = 0, target FC = 3, it gave me 100 oz of 6% bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That is correct! :)

Keep in mind that a lot of places have gone to 8.25% bleach now. It won't make much difference just wanted you to be aware. You can change the percentage by clicking in the strength cell.

k - i added 3x24 oz 8.25% Clorox regular bleach last night to the deep-end inlet port - taking 1 min per 24ox. This morning, I did a check using some 5-point test strips I had from last year. The FC level on the strip was between 0 and .5 [maybe] if the color was right. Should 1 dose have raised my pools FC level to 3?

Might be misunderstanding what is supposed to happen, so should I even worry about this or just wait until I have the TF-100, which should be here later today?

UPDATE: k, so looking at the OCLT article, it's probably because of the chlorine eating the algae - which I'm almost positive is in there, since the walls were slick. This has been the usual indicator that we'd start seeing green if we didn't do anything.

TF-100 just arrived and inventory checked out - all items are there. Since this will be my first test and the pool has just been opened, I have a few questions:

1) what tests should be performed?
2) should the CYA test be performed before anything else - since I know the pool needs to go through the SHOCK process?
3) does time of day matter?
4) I have a pool house and the instructions recommend performing tests inside, so should I perform all tests inside the pool house, or are there some that should be done in sunlight, etc.?

Thanks!

1. Take a styrofoam or plastic cup (about 6-12 oz) and go to the pool and insert it upside down into the pool as far as you can reach. Then turn the cup rightside up so your pool sample water is taken down about a foot below the surface.

2. Take your kit inside and sit at a place where you can be comfortable testing and maybe even spilling a bit of water

3. It is very close to happy hour here so a cool one is an optional item. :mrgreen:

4. Start the test by performing the pH and chlorine test inside the blue plastic box. Read the pH as best you can and don't worry if you can't tell exactly how much chlorine you have. (if any)

5. Turn the instruction sheet over and do ALL the tests (do NOT reach for another cool one until you finish the tests....we don't want you to fall in the pool or take a nap :shock: ).

6. Report your test results back on the forum like this....

pH -
OTO (daily) chlorine test
FC -
CC -
TA -
CH -
CYA -
CYA -

We'll go from there.

Let us know!!

bderemer said:
TF-100 just arrived and inventory checked out - all items are there. Since this will be my first test and the pool has just been opened, I have a few questions:

1) what tests should be performed?
2) should the CYA test be performed before anything else - since I know the pool needs to go through the SHOCK process?
3) does time of day matter?
4) I have a pool house and the instructions recommend performing tests inside, so should I perform all tests inside the pool house, or are there some that should be done in sunlight, etc.?

Thanks!
Do ALL the tests. If pH needs adjusting, you'll need to know TA to calculate the doage. CH is nice to know up front; if it's into 4 digits, you'll probably want to replace some water anyway, might as well do it before you spend money treating it.

I do my testing outdoors, at the patio table. I get a big supply of water and use it to do the tests, so I'm not making repeated trips poolside. And then I move out from under the shade to do the CYA test. That test in particular needs good, strong light. Be sure you hold a sheet of paper up as a background when testing pH - even the sky will alter the colors.

Re: grew up with pools, now IG pool owner (starting 3rd year

Vacuumed to waste again today over lunch. Water looks clean, but slightly cloudy still.

Ran initial tests this evening...tests seemed to go well until...the CYA test. Here are the results of my 1st use of the TF-100:

pH: 7.5
OTO (daily) chlorine test: (Cl: 2, Br: 4)
FC: 1.0 - 1.5
CC: 1.0
TC: 2 - 2.5
TA: 130
CH: 180 (this started pink, not red; after 180 drops it turned light purple/blue with purple particles swirling around)
CYA: < 20 ??? (tried this test 2x)
* 1st time, I filled with pool water to [bottom of label], filled to [top of label] with reagent, put tip back on, shook/swirled for almost 30 seconds, let sit 30 seconds, then shook for about 5 seconds.
* 2nd time, I filled the same way, but only swirled for about 10-15 seconds - no shaking, let sit 30 seconds, shook only 2 times.
Both times, when I slowly squirted the mixture into the view tube, it never obscured the black dot. It DID occasionally cloud up as the drops went in, but on partially obscuring the dot, then it cleared. I emptied the entire mixture so the view tube was filled to within about 4-5 mm of the top)

NOTE: I had put in 2 qt(s) of Fox Pools Phosphate Removal liquid on 5/18 (5 days ago). I don't know if this would affect any of the readings or not. Also, i vacuumed to waste today and re-filled about 1.5 inches of water from our well. Again, don't know if that would affect it. Perhaps my CYA is under 20.

Perhaps my CYA is under 20.
That is correct. Nothing wrong with your test procedure or your result.

You need to start the shock process.... Cloudy water, FC too low and a cc of 1.0 or more are all indicators enough to shock.

Calculate enough CYA to get to 30 ppm and add it to your pool. Don't bother retesting for it, just calc correctly and know that it's there.

Then read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Follow that procedure to the letter (everybody screws this up by not being willing to keep their chlorine at shock value throughout the process....don't fall into that trap) and your result will be a crystal clear pool....probably pretty quickly based on your test results but there are a lot of variables that influence the time it takes.

Your other numbers are just fine. We can help you fine tune tham after you have finished the process.

Go get 'em! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support