Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie BBB Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie BBB Questions

I've never owned a pool - lets start there! We are in the process of putting in an in-ground 18'6' X 36'6 grecian pool with a diving end. Approx: 21,000 Gallons (I'll post pics as construction begins)
    I've read the pool school and most of the BBB info that I can get my hands on through this forum and a couple other forums that are floating around out there. I have a couple of (probably stupid) questions.

1 - When adding chemicals through the BBB is it best to add them in the skimmer or around the edge of the pool?
    2 - Is there any danger in discoloring your liner by adding chemicals - bleach, acid etc... in the skimmer? I've been told that adding chlorine tabs in the skimmer can cause the chlorine to be a strong concentrate when coming back through the returns thus causing the liner to discolor in that area.
    21K gallon 18'6" x 36' 6" Grecian IG Pool. Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter and 1HP Hayward pump
    Will be installed at the end of July!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie BBB Questions

Welcome to TFP!

See the recommended chemicals article in Pool School. It describes the recommended methods of adding each chemical ... with no worries of damage to the liner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't want to leave "pucks" in the skimmer when the pump is not running. High acid build up levels in there. We recommend adding chemicals in front of a return jet as slowly as needed, acid, bleach, etc.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Why worry about chlorine tablets already? Those are for vacation.

You're starting from scratch - why not make sure there's room to install a liquidator or a stenner pump or a saltwater chlorine generator? If you're going for an electrical device, it's pretty easy to get a timer with two outlets so you're prewired when you're ready. Or even have one installed at the time of construction.

You better go back and skim through the threads and read some horror stories about what happens when the pool is fed a steady diet of pucks, with or without the pool store weekly "shock" routine.

Do things right from the start and you may be on here five years from now boasting that you've never had to shock your pool and it's been perfectly balanced since you opened it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys!

Richard - Your right. I wanted to go SWG but the initial cost was prohibitive. I decided to add a couple of extras features from the beginning and then add a salt generator next season, or possibly the season after that. I must confess I'm not familiar with a liquidator or a stenner pump. I want to get off to a good start. BBB seems like the best option since I'm not crazy about adding chemicals I don't need or want. My pool builder's standard intstall includes a chorinator so I stuck with that to keep costs down. I did my homework on builders in my area. This builder came highly recommended by some very close friends who manage a large pool for a summer camp. I've seen his work and it is as close to perfect as I've seen. All equipment is hayward and includes a 4 cartridge filter. How does a liquidator or stenner pump work? (I told you I was a newbie!)
    21K gallon 18'6" x 36' 6" Grecian IG Pool. Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter and 1HP Hayward pump
    Will be installed at the end of July!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

They just add the liquid chlorine for you. But, if you are considering a SWG next year I would not spend the money on those systems. On the other had, if you did get one of them, you may decided you do not need the SWG.

You can find a lot of information about the liquid systems using the search bar in the forum.

Really, you might be best served by gaining some experience maintaining the pool manually at first so you learn your pool. Then you can start to investigate the alternative methods for FC addition to reduce your daily work load.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!