Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex inlet, outlet question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex inlet, outlet question

Just spoke to the local inspector and a pool permit is imminent But before I begin setup of the 18'x48" Ultra Frame, I'd like to decide once and for all about the inlet and outlet question. This is my second Intex, the first being the "old blue" style, and both recommend/insist on the installer using the lower hole for the outlet to the pump/filter and the higher hole for the inlet from the pump/filter.

Now I know there are some of you out there who have retrofitted a through-the-wall skimmer right over the higher hole, so you must be using the lower hole for the pool inlet. This makes more sense to me, as I could adjust the fish eye to hit the bottom of the pool with more force (unless that's a bad thing?). I'm using the original pump/filter that came with the pool in order to pass inspection without a bonding issue, but later will have a 1 hp Hayward pumping water at 3,000 gph.

Assuming I don't install a skimmer to begin with but reserve the right to do so later, would I be wise/correct to use the higher hose connection for the pool outlet (to the pump) and the lower connection for the pool inlet (from the pump)?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex inlet, outlet question

I would capture the higher opening in the new skimmer opening and leave the lower one alone for the return but that's just me.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Intex inlet, outlet question

I should mention that in this configuration, with the water flowing out of the pool on the high/left side and into the low/right side, it will be logistically easier to put my solar heater BEFORE the pump and filter. Does that create more problems?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!