Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Stainless Steel Polisher

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Stainless Steel Polisher

Title pretty much says it all. What's the preferred cleaner for polishing stainless handrails & ladders? We had our pool built last year and after opening this spring there are some rust colored stains along the water line and what appear to be white colored water or salt spots above the waterline. The stains are still smooth so I'm pretty sure they're superficial and removable with a bit of elbow grease.
    Thanks in advance.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Stainless Steel Polisher

I'd try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic) first.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

aeromorris05,

"Bar Keepers Friend" the powder version, not the liquid is the only one that I know of that will not scratch, it is the only cleaner recommended for use on the premium All-Clad Cookware. But you will need to drain down a little to expose dry tiles, and it takes a lot of rubbing, more so than "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser".

Some people say "Bon Ami" does not scratch, but we never used it.

"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" will work well but it will leave microscopic scratches.

If you have a hard time finding "Bar Keepers Friend" Williams-Sonoma carries it, albeit a little higher in price than other places.

Use to be in a business where this mattered.

Blasting with "Baking Soda" at low pressure will also work and will not scratch, but you need a "Baking Soda" blasting machine, or hire someone who has one. Do not use glass beads, or sand, for blasting they will also leave very fine scratches.

Hope this helps.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

4. Back To Top    #4

Chrome polish from the auto parts store.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Be aware the stainless steel polishes come in two major types, water based and oil based, if around the pool I suspect you would want a water based.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Guess I'm gonna have to do some test spots just to be on the safe side. Had the weather been more cooperative last night I would've tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. My original thought was some sort of polish/buffing compound. There seemed to be two distinct types on Amazon; one set for polishing stainless appliances and another kind for more industrial uses like polishing chrome. I'm wondering if I can simply use polish designed for sterling silverware. I don't think it would leave scratches and surely it wouldn't leave swirl marks.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED