Wedding Cake Steps - alternative suggestion for bag of sand

May 7, 2012
Southern Illinois
Love my wedding cake steps but they are a pain to remove and install every year. We were instructed to use a bag a sand at the base to help weigh down. Every year that sandbag is disgusting in my water and we have trouble getting it out at the end of season. I thoughts I would ask for alternate suggestions on here before we put the steps in this week. What about a hand weight? Or a brick? Would those items hurt my pool balancing?

Re: Wedding Cake Steps - alternative suggestion for bag of s

You can fill sections of PVC pipe with sand or gravel and then seal the ends with glued on pipe caps. PVC is non-reative and the sand won't get wet so they are easy to handle.

The PVC pipe is the standard reply. I just had a mental image, though; my wife has one of those foodsaver vacuum sealers. If you do, too, fill bags with sand, vacuum, and seal. No trip to the hardware store needed. Polyethylene is non reactive, too.

I made the weights for ours out of 4" sewer pvc pipe filled with sand and gravel. Last season there were 2-27" ones for the back and 5-12" ones for the front. Those were filled with sand and it wasn't quite enough to keep the in place. Yesterday I made two more 27" long ones filled with pea gravel to go with the back ones as that is where I needed more weight. Our steps have holes on the sides and I used stainless S hooks and very large zip ties and hung the back ones that way. The front ones fit up in the ledge under the first step and once wedged in they stay in place on thieir own. It's right around 200lbs holding them down now. And for added measure just to be safe I added water and bleach before capping them off in case one just happens to break or crack.

I used 1 gallon plastic water jugs with screw on lids. Water tight and they have a handle so they're easy to get in and out. I have 2 and the stairs don't move and they've never leaked. They look basically like milk jugs.

I use 3 large round rocks to weigh down my wedding cake steps. It weighs the steps down, but allows me to move the steps easily for vacuuming. When we close pool, I just dive down, take out the 3 rocks and put down with landscaping.

Our wedding cake type steps have a container built into the one step. We filled it with rocks and that seems to be enough to keep the steps from moving around.

I hate removing my steps every year, so for the last 2 years i have been removing the hand rail and the top step and keeping them in all winter. I am in New Jersey and it does freeze but i have had no issues. I told my pool guy what i was doing and he said that there was no problem with leaving them in all year. With that being said PVC pipe with gravel or jugs with gravel most anything will work but i found the most important part is the hold down arms that attach to your deck or landing. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.