Cloudy water after a week of shocking

May 7, 2012
Southern Illinois
Hello, I'm growing impatient each day as I watch my pool stay a very pretty blue but cloudy color. I uncovered last Sunday and started the shock process according to the guidelines posted here. The water went from murky green to a cloudy blue in a few days. Now I am certain that all debris is out of the pool and I have passed the overnight test with just a .5 decrease in FC. How much longer do you think it will take for my water to clear? Anything I can do to speed up the process?

Also, I have been using the Pool Calculator app on my iPad and just compared it to the cya/chlorine chart here. It is way off. My CYA is at 70 and the app says shock levels is 20 which is what I have been maintaining. The chart here says shock level is 28. Should I increase that now? Again all debri is removed no algae and passed overnight test.

This mornings results

FC 20.5
CC <.05
PH 7.2
TA 70
CH 80

It can take a sand filter a week, or more, to clear up the water after all of the algae is killed. If everything is working correctly you should see a visible improvement in the water each day, though it might only be a small improvement.

You can often speed up the process by adding a little DE to the filter, see Pool School for instructions.

The different shock levels both work, the chart here is just a little more trouble free. Given you passed the overnight FC loss test, that isn't an issue in this situation.

we had a similar pool situation and using a skimmer sock sped things up. We had to change the sock to a clean one maybe every hour at first.

they have a 4 pack at lowes for something like $4. our pool store also has a 5 pack for $10. the lowes one worked ok, but are considered disposable.

but we were back-washing every hour before using the socks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.