Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water after a week of shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water after a week of shocking

Hello, I'm growing impatient each day as I watch my pool stay a very pretty blue but cloudy color. I uncovered last Sunday and started the shock process according to the guidelines posted here. The water went from murky green to a cloudy blue in a few days. Now I am certain that all debris is out of the pool and I have passed the overnight test with just a .5 decrease in FC. How much longer do you think it will take for my water to clear? Anything I can do to speed up the process?

Also, I have been using the Pool Calculator app on my iPad and just compared it to the cya/chlorine chart here. It is way off. My CYA is at 70 and the app says shock levels is 20 which is what I have been maintaining. The chart here says shock level is 28. Should I increase that now? Again all debri is removed no algae and passed overnight test.

This mornings results

FC 20.5
    CC <.05
    PH 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 80
    28ft Round above ground
    20,700 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water after a week of shocking

Have you tried adding DE to your sand filter? There is an article in Pool School.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

3. Back To Top    #3

It can take a sand filter a week, or more, to clear up the water after all of the algae is killed. If everything is working correctly you should see a visible improvement in the water each day, though it might only be a small improvement.

You can often speed up the process by adding a little DE to the filter, see Pool School for instructions.

The different shock levels both work, the chart here is just a little more trouble free. Given you passed the overnight FC loss test, that isn't an issue in this situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. I added some DE to the filter today. How often can that be added?

Also we couldn't resist any longer and took a quick dip. Did that royally screw up my process of clearing the water? Lol
    28ft Round above ground
    20,700 gallons
    Sand Filter
    1.5 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Add after every time you backwash, I believe. In case it has not been mentioned before, backwash when the filter increases about 25% of clean pressure.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

we had a similar pool situation and using a skimmer sock sped things up. We had to change the sock to a clean one maybe every hour at first.

they have a 4 pack at lowes for something like $4. our pool store also has a 5 pack for $10. the lowes one worked ok, but are considered disposable.

but we were back-washing every hour before using the socks.