Shock process and the rain...

G

I was going to ask this in an existing thread - but thought it may be worthwhile as a topic by itself.

I wanted to begin the shock process today but the weatherman is saying rain today, scattered thunderstorms for the rest of the week.

I assume that any rain during the shock process has the potential to offset FC and cause me to use more bleach, on the other hand - if it's not sunny - there may actually be a net gain in FC available for the shock process, since no FC is lost to sunlight.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure why, but far too many people believe rain will have a significant effect on pool water chemistry......it doesn't.

The exception would be if your decking was installed poorly and runoff drains INTO the pool or you got perhaps a 12" deluge.

Rain has little effect on the pool water chemistry. Sometimes it raises pH, sometimes it lowers it. :?

It would have little, if any, effect on FC. Usually what happens is that 'stuff' gets blown into the pool and uses some of the FC, which would happen whether you are shocking or not.

I suggest you go ahead and start the shock process today and get ahead of the problem :)

duraleigh said:
I'm not sure why, but far too many people believe rain will have a significant effect on pool water chemistry......it doesn't.

The exception would be if your decking was installed poorly and runoff drains INTO the pool or you got perhaps a 12" deluge.

Thanks... in the words of Johnny Carson... "I did not know that..."

Now that you mention it - it does make sense.

"There are no stupid questions - just stupid people that ask them." .... ggoodwinj3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.