Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stair tile?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stair tile?

Plaster in two weeks. One of the last decisions is whether we want tile on the steps and swim-out or not, and if so, what we want. It is a natural looking pool... we are probably using French Gray Diamond Brite. Just curious as to whether there is any safety issue with not having tile on the edge of the steps. If we use 2x2 tile of the same dark gray color as our water line tile, either in a long strip, or individual diagonal pieces every foot or so, it seems like it takes away from the natural look of the pool.

It seems to me that just based on the difference in water depth, the steps will have a slightly different shade, and there should not be any safety issue during the day, or at night. I assume at night, they will be even more visible based on the pool light hitting them.

The swim-out has 18" of water... on either side of the main steps, the second step wraps a few feet further as an 18" deep bench.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone on this, but especially those who did not use any tile on their steps.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Stair tile?

I might be misunderstanding your post but VERY FEW pools have tile on the steps.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not referring to the entire step... just the single strip on the edge or individual tiles spaces at the edge. So, using that is the exception and not the rule? That is good to know. I thought it was the other way around.

So, without any tiles on the edge of the step, I assume there is no safety issue for people to see the step of that the pool is shallower there, like on the swim out area, and that any tile used is purely decorative?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

and that any tile used is purely decorative?
    I would say it's both. I like the looks and it certainly is a good visual for safety. Few pools have it, though.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

FYI, our 25-year-old pool has cobalt blue glossy tile edging the steps and the swim-out. I suppose it's an out-of-date style. Our neighbor recently had his pool resufaced, and re-tiled, and has a row of iridescent glass tiles set back about an inch from the edge of of each step and swim-out. It looks sharp!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

6. Back To Top    #6

We have no tiles on our steps, but many of our neighbors do, and it looks good and makes the steps very visible. A friend of ours just had their pool resurfaced, and they added tiles that glow in the dark after absorbing sunlight all day. They look fantastic at night, and just look like normal tile during the day.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a picture of what the OP might be looking for...did this for my pool under construction. Honestly it does really make it look great and much safer IMHO.

Also, ignore the water, it is ok but I have no pumps, etc installed yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

We had tile placed on two steps and are really happy with it. Small tile with enough grout to help with traction. I think the norm is to have the edge of the step outlined with tile for safety reasons.
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Here are ours...6x6 tiles cut into quarters. The second tile from the left on the top step was accidentally removed during plastering. I noticed it as they were putting the finishing touches on the plaster. They said 'no problema' and cut it in without a worry. BTW - Our plaster is a medium gray similar to DB French Gray in color.

[attachment=0:1262y8dj]2013-05-22 18.15.44 - TFP.JPG[/attachment:1262y8dj]
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by alanpaul
    Our neighbor recently had his pool resufaced, and re-tiled, and has a row of iridescent glass tiles set back about an inch from the edge of of each step and swim-out. It looks sharp!
    We did same Lightsteam iridescent glass for the step markers. Really like the way it looks. Just be ready for sticker shock. I'm pretty sure Pebbletec rebrands them and sells them through their installers as well.

11. Back To Top    #11

bmoreswim, thanks for posting that... are you happy with the gray plaster color? I saw a pool today with French Gray Diamond Brite... it was just done a few days ago so it still had some green in it... but my PB said it will be all blue in a week. Would you have gone darker?

12. Back To Top    #12

Has anyone ever seen tile installed on the vertical side of the step (riser)? Any issue with people swimming in to a step or swim-out wall or mainly people jumping in or stepping off an edge?