Hi People. First post.... and thanks for all the information Ive already gained from the site! I have a 10 month old 20 x 50 45,000 gallon in ground plaster pool, 1.5 hp Hayward variable speed pump, 500 sq foot cartridge filter, Nature 2 puck chlorinator, Aqua matic pool cover, Polaris pool sweep with aux pump. Recently installed a 400,000 btu Sta Rite heater... soon installing solar.
Chlorine got too low and algae bloomed. Nuked with 5 lbs of Cal Hypo and some clarifier.
There have been a number of interesting issues so far.
1. It's been hard to keep the chlorine levels at an adequate level, even with the cover closed. The Pool guy has been very conservative with the pucks.
2. I've found that when the pool cover is closed on a sunny day, the water right under the cover gets very warm and it seems to promote biological activity at the boundry layer.. I've also found that the dirt and pollen that accumulates on the cover gets into the pool when it is opened and closed, because the cover wraps around a drum. I now hose and scrub the cover with fresh water and some liquid chlorine... then suck the grime off the cover with a cover pump. then I open the cover. No more problems. I'm out there fiddling with the systems every day anyway, so I intend to take over all the maintenence myself
I intend to install a liquid chlorine tank and and a pump/timer. I understand that the shelf life of the bleach is shortened in hot weather. I have very hot weather. Considering installing the chlorine resevoir in a small keg sized fridge in the equipment shed with the pumps. At 50 degrees it should last a long time and I can buy larger quantities. Anyone out there ever done that sort of thing?
The pool is new enough and large enough that I don't think much damage has been done to the chemistry over the winter months. I'ts been covered most of the time and very little chlorine has been added. The water temp was down around 55. It's now up to 75 and climbing. Is there any advantage to leaving the cover open most of the time? Perhaps it's better to close it to preserve chlorine?
I'll use the pool chemistry calculator. I expect that the chlorine consumption will probaby be pretty high, but I'd rather do it this way than burden the water with a constant barrage of "stabilizer" chemicals.
Next posting will have accurate measurements. Thanks again!