Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Home owner!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Home owner!

Greetings everyone! We are New to AZ and this forum. We've just closed on our home this past Friday which was a foreclosure. We had a home inspection done prior to purchasing the house and the pool. It was noted the pool has issues. Pump needs replacement, Quik clean Infloor actuator needs replacement, Hayward heater doesn't fire up, (This is for the spa) before any type of diagnostic can be ran it needs a circuit board and the timer needs replacement. I've got a contractor coming out to get the pool up and running but me and the wife want to do our own service / maint. I've ordered the TF-100 and think I will go with the BBB method to maintain the pool. We both are reading and rereading Pool School.

Here is my problem, the size of the pool, I've include a picture of the of the pool, it's a different shape. 30 x 22 at the widest point and 4ft shallow and 5ft deepest. I know it's important to know how much water is in the pool... We are going to go shopping for pool supplies, can anyone provide a list so we are not wasting money.

Also is it worth the extra $600 to go with the Intelliflo Variable Speed? The pump quoted was $900 but the upgrade Intelliflo will be $1500. I'm thinking I will make my money back in a year or so just on electric cost.. Am I wrong in thinking this??

17k gallon, IGP Plaster with spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo Variable Speed 1.5hp, Quick Clean III In-floor actuator.
    Zodiac Baracuda G3 Robot Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit.
    Upgrades projected: 400sq ft Heliocol Solar Heating, Pool resurfacing and deck repair.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Home owner!

Welcome to tfp, NiwRoC

Quote Originally Posted by NiwRoC
    I've ordered the TF-100 and think I will go with the BBB method to maintain the pool. We both are reading and rereading Pool School.

Here is my problem, the size of the pool, I've include a picture of the of the pool, it's a different shape. 30 x 22 at the widest point and 4ft shallow and 5ft deepest. I know it's important to know how much water is in the pool...
    It is hard to say from the picture (it is at a very shallow angle) and the dimensions you gave. Maybe a drawing from above with more dimensions?

We are going to go shopping for pool supplies, can anyone provide a list so we are not wasting money.
    Until you get your kit, it is hard to say what you will need...but for sure you will need bleach/liquid chlorine.

Also is it worth the extra $600 to go with the Intelliflo Variable Speed? The pump quoted was $900 but the upgrade Intelliflo will be $1500. I'm thinking I will make my money back in a year or so just on electric cost.. Am I wrong in thinking this??
    A year would be real fast, unless you have astronomical rates. Is there just one pump for spa and pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

NiwRoC:

Welcome to TFP Nice looking pool.

I agree with linen that a one year payback on the VS is very optimistic (and unlikely). Again, it is dependent on your electric rates. The general rule of thumb is unless your kWh rate is greater than $0.20, you're better off with a 2-speed from an economic standpoint.

BTW, JasonLion recently did a thorough analysis focusing on the economic comparison of various pumps (single-speed, 2-speed and VS) here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/energ...on-t59139.html. This analysis is about halfway down the first page.

Also, the Determine Pump Run Time article was recently revised within the past week or so. Worth another look. You may find that you do not need to run the pump as long as you might think.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Recieved my TF 100 and did a test on the pool today...

Cl 1.5
    pH 7.5
    FC 2ppm
    CC 0.5
    TC 2.5
    TA 200
    CH 290
    CYA 50

Please advise!!
    17k gallon, IGP Plaster with spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo Variable Speed 1.5hp, Quick Clean III In-floor actuator.
    Upgrades projected: 400sq ft Heliocol Solar Heating, Pool resurfacing and deck repair.

5. Back To Top    #5

Recieved my TF 100 and did a test on the pool today...

Cl 1.5
    pH 7.5
    FC 2ppm
    CC 0.5
    TC 2.5
    TA 200
    CH 290
    CYA 50

Please advise!!
    Chlorine is too low. But to figure out the dosage, you still need to calculate the volume.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool tech who came out and did the new pump install, said we have about a 11k-13k pool. So I went with 12k. Will the 1k either way make a huge difference? I used the pool app and it stated 2 gallons of chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Add the chlorine and test 30 minutes after (with the pump running) to see how much the chlorine adjusted. 1k won't make a huge difference, but its always better to err on the side of safe.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

I will pickup some chlorine from the store on the way home and go from there. Thanks for the advice and speeeeedy post! <3

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool tech who came out and did the new pump install, said we have about a 11k-13k pool. So I went with 12k. Will the 1k either way make a huge difference? I used the pool app and it stated 2 gallons of chlorine.
    Assuming the pool tech was right, then no...no big difference....If as you add chemicals, you are not getting the expected change, then maybe revisit the volume then.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.