Brushing vs Vacuuming

Mar 20, 2012
Here's my quandary:
I have small pool (around 9500 gallons) which is fully enclosed in a pool cage (god bless Florida).
I own a fully functional Hayward navigator & I own a fully functional pool brush :roll:
When I first bought my house (and pool) there were some issues that I fixed and then i used the navigator probably once every 2 weeks.

Then I finally had my pool refinished with stonescapes (I knew when I bought the house this was going to be necessary). That was last October (2012).

So, part of the routine after refinishing was to brush the pool very often (like every day for 2 weeks, and then 2 times a week after that for 6 weeks). And I was told not to sweep and especially not to use the Hayward Navigator as its wings would leave marks all over the finish while it cured.

But then, I just never started using the Navigator again. I can't see the point when I think about it. My pool is small enough that I can easily brush everything to the drain. The Navigator is annoying to get started too. I have to get all the hoses out, then fill them with water, then connect them to my skimmer, make sure the Navigator is full of water too, check the filter pressure (depending on where it's at I make adjustments to close the drain more or less). Brushing is fast and very straight forward. Here's another thing (not the only thing mind you): I wouldn't vacuum a concrete floor outside of a pool. I would brush it (with a broom).

So I dunno. I feel like I'm missing something? I have to be missing something. My pool seems great. I brush it thoroughly 2 times a week, when I do I can see what I'm brushing and the pool seems very clean (except for the stupid steps, which my manual vacuum or the Navigator couldn't get anyways)...stupid steps.

So what are your opinions? Should I be sweeping instead of brushing. Should I sweep once and brush once a week. Or is the fact that my pool is enclosed make brushing a viable solution for my pool maintenance needs?

The vacuum is for picking up stuff off the bottom. If there's nothing to pick up, you don't need to vacuum. Brushing is the aquatic equivalent of dusting. Stuff clings to the walls and the brush gets it off so the filter can grab it.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.