Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing vs Vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Brushing vs Vacuuming

Here's my quandary:
    I have small pool (around 9500 gallons) which is fully enclosed in a pool cage (god bless Florida).
    I own a fully functional Hayward navigator & I own a fully functional pool brush
    When I first bought my house (and pool) there were some issues that I fixed and then i used the navigator probably once every 2 weeks.

Then I finally had my pool refinished with stonescapes (I knew when I bought the house this was going to be necessary). That was last October (2012).

So, part of the routine after refinishing was to brush the pool very often (like every day for 2 weeks, and then 2 times a week after that for 6 weeks). And I was told not to sweep and especially not to use the Hayward Navigator as its wings would leave marks all over the finish while it cured.

But then, I just never started using the Navigator again. I can't see the point when I think about it. My pool is small enough that I can easily brush everything to the drain. The Navigator is annoying to get started too. I have to get all the hoses out, then fill them with water, then connect them to my skimmer, make sure the Navigator is full of water too, check the filter pressure (depending on where it's at I make adjustments to close the drain more or less). Brushing is fast and very straight forward. Here's another thing (not the only thing mind you): I wouldn't vacuum a concrete floor outside of a pool. I would brush it (with a broom).

So I dunno. I feel like I'm missing something? I have to be missing something. My pool seems great. I brush it thoroughly 2 times a week, when I do I can see what I'm brushing and the pool seems very clean (except for the stupid steps, which my manual vacuum or the Navigator couldn't get anyways)...stupid steps.

So what are your opinions? Should I be sweeping instead of brushing. Should I sweep once and brush once a week. Or is the fact that my pool is enclosed make brushing a viable solution for my pool maintenance needs?

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Brushing vs Vacuuming

The vacuum is for picking up stuff off the bottom. If there's nothing to pick up, you don't need to vacuum. Brushing is the aquatic equivalent of dusting. Stuff clings to the walls and the brush gets it off so the filter can grab it.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

I agree with Richard's response...if the pool is clean then no need to put in the vacuum. Likely the pool cage keeps out much of the stuff that might normally end up on the bottom.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome. Thanks - I just needed someone else to tell me that I'm not crazy.
    Thanks for helping!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

+1 what 320 and linen said. You are blessed to have that screen. My Father in law has a screen and his pool is REMARKABLY easy to keep clean.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School