Lubricant Question

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
How often do you lubricate the O-ring on your pump strainer basket, and what brand and model is it?

I ask because I recently replaced my Hayward Super Pump which rarely needed the o-ring to be lubricated (maybe once per year) with a Jandy Flo Pro which has developed a strainer basket air leak after only about a month or so of use (2 or 3 openings) , relubricating the basket o-ring solved the leak.

Ike

That's an interesting post that I have wondered about, too. My pump is about 7 years old and the 0-ring is original and has never been lubed and has never leaked. It feels as pliable and fits a perfectly as the day I bought it.

If they can make one that good on an everyday pump, why don't they make them all out of the same material?

Mine has never been in the sun at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I try to lube mine after I close the pool then store them in a zip-loc bag. Upon opening the next season they are already lubed and ready to go.

If I forget to do it at the end of a season I just lube them up before firing everything up. Ive been using a few small bottles of o-ring lube that Pentair provided with my Rainbow chlorinator. Im running out, but I think Jacks Magic will work too and is readily available at pool stores.

Doing it this way Ive been able to keep the King of o-ring issues (Hayward Northstar) working perfectly every season since I bought it (2003). All of the o-rings (strainer cover or inlet/outlet) are original.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.