Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lubricant Question

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

Lubricant Question

How often do you lubricate the O-ring on your pump strainer basket, and what brand and model is it?

I ask because I recently replaced my Hayward Super Pump which rarely needed the o-ring to be lubricated (maybe once per year) with a Jandy Flo Pro which has developed a strainer basket air leak after only about a month or so of use (2 or 3 openings) , relubricating the basket o-ring solved the leak.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Lubricant Question

That's an interesting post that I have wondered about, too. My pump is about 7 years old and the 0-ring is original and has never been lubed and has never leaked. It feels as pliable and fits a perfectly as the day I bought it.

If they can make one that good on an everyday pump, why don't they make them all out of the same material?

Mine has never been in the sun at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Grand Rapids, Michigan

I re-lube mine everytime I service the system. Probably about once a month when I hose off the cart. Probably overkill but I'm following the directions that came with the pump & filter. I use MajicLube that I buy at the PS. What do you and others use?
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

I don't think I've ever lubed mine either. Mine, like Dave's, rarely sees the sun. I wonder if that makes a difference?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Milford, CT

I try to lube mine after I close the pool then store them in a zip-loc bag. Upon opening the next season they are already lubed and ready to go.

If I forget to do it at the end of a season I just lube them up before firing everything up. Ive been using a few small bottles of o-ring lube that Pentair provided with my Rainbow chlorinator. Im running out, but I think Jacks Magic will work too and is readily available at pool stores.

Doing it this way Ive been able to keep the King of o-ring issues (Hayward Northstar) working perfectly every season since I bought it (2003). All of the o-rings (strainer cover or inlet/outlet) are original.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell