new SWG and sand

Jun 1, 2009
Well, this is our first year with the SWG and Sand filter. We just opened the pool. This was also our first year leaving it up all winter. It is LOADED with what looks like algae debris to me. I don't have any sort of mechanized vacuum so Questions are:
Do I start the filter alone or start with the SWG right away?
How do I get all that sludge out of there?
Do I add CYA now or wait until it is clearer?

right now it looks and smells like a pond!

Get the filter running. You can turn on the SWG, or not, but you are going to need to shock the pool. Before you start in on shocking, you should get as much of the debris out of the pool as you possibly can. A (pool style) leaf rake is a good tool to use. You can also use a pool vacuum, though that often doesn't work so well when the visibility is bad.

You want CYA around 30 (if practical) when shocking. Raise CYA up to normal SWG levels only after the water is all cleared up.

First you need a good test kit. See the link in my signature. While you are at it, get a salt test since you have a SWG. I don't have a SWG, so I am not sure whether to recommend the strips or drop kit. Then you will need to post up a full set of test results. Scoop out all of the solid debris you can while waiting for the test kit. You can use a leaf rake or skimmer. After you get the kit, you will need to follow the shock process, which is in my signature. No sense using the SWG since it won't be able to keep up, and will just use up the cell life.

So, which method of shocking the pool do you reccomend? Chemical or the boost on the SWG?
I don't have any large 'chunks' of debris anymore but when I tried vaccuming with the one included - the one you put on the hose - all it does is stir up all the water and make it dirtier. I have the filter running and when I back wash it is really gross color and then clears quick. I hope this means that the filter is working!
I don't understand the copper level testing? If it is low, you boost it more, but this raises the chlorine as well. I do think it is better than yesterday since I started the SWG. Does that mean there is dead algae as well as live? Need to order my test kit yet just wan't sure if the chemical issues were improtant before I cleaned the water...

John, yes I see the bars and and I see how to remove them and not use them. SO - get the bleach in, and run the sand filter. Right? How often to back wash?
I did check a quick FC and it was 2. So I can use the calculator to figure out the bleach amount right? Also what happens if I run the copper now?

Backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

Yes, use the poolcalculator.com to determine how much bleach you should add. Have you added CYA yet to know what your shock FC target level is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well the water is clearing nicely. still a little green, but clear/see through. However, all the Crud is on the bottom again. Less aqlgae floating on the top, and the pond smell is gone. So, if I were to invest in a vacuum, any advice? I really cant invest too much more this year, given the new pump/filter/SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.