Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex filter pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

intex filter pumps

Wondering which is better? Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump or the Intex 2500 cartridge filter? I was reading the pool school and seems like the sand filters are not necessarily better. Anyone out there with experience with both?
    16x48 Intex Ultra frame pool with swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex filter pumps

"better" could be defined in many ways..Sand filter maybe easier to clean, and maybe less expensive to replace. I had a
    intex cartridge filter and got so tired of needing to clean it almost daily.
    17,500 gallon 16x32 doughboy Aboveground
    West Michigan

3. Back To Top    #3

We use a sand filter now and have a SWG attached to it. It's a lot easier not having to mess with the stupid cartridges. We actually gave the pump that came with our pool to a friend of ours.
    Tracy
    Vinyl 16X48 Intex pool with SWG
    Pool holds 5061 gallons of water Using Taylor k-2006 test kit
    Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter and Krystal Clear SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

I don't know about filtration or which one is better. I've read also that cartridge filters are better than sand filters for filtration, but I assume that is all about regular brand "quality" equipment.

I do know that with the pollen falling in the pool, my filter is a slimey mess and I can't get it cleaned right now. I need to get to the store and pick up a few.

As for circulation, my 2650 or 2500 whatever it is cartridge pump circulates very well. I have a thermometer tied to the side across from the water inlet and it hangs out at greater than a 45 angle from the water circulating.

Cleaning up sediment from over winter (no cover) has been a real pain as I have to not only pull the little sock from the stock Intex vacuum out to clean every 1/16th of the pool floor I cleaned, but had to drain the pump and pull the filter and clean as well. It took me a week to get the floor clean and it still isn't perfect as half would pull up into the filter and half would get stirred back up into the water only to settle over night and would have to do it again every day for a week.

Large particles and pine needles and such are all finally out, but I still have sediment on the bottom that looks quite fine. I don't think the Intex cartridge filter is getting this stuff.

My plan is to upgrade to a sand filter, but first in order is I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks, so money is tight from that.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Intex 2650 cartridge filter/pump. I dumped the crappy Intex filters and went with Unicell. Night and day difference between the two. I don't change filters hardly at all now. Big difference for me is I keep my pool covered when not in use. Keeps the **** out and not in your filter.

I have often thought of switching but since switching to Unicell filter I have gone from three to four day clean and/or change filter to now maybe a week to 10 days. So there is an option if you haven't purchased anything.

Bob E.

6. Back To Top    #6

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Safetybob
    I dumped the crappy Intex filters and went with Unicell.
    Is that the Unicel C-5315 you are talking about? I was just looking at the link for Intex pools in the top of the AGP section.

For the others, the first thread in the AGP section has a list of links for Intex pools.

useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html

Link is "Never buy a Type A filter, but it also has info on the Unicell C5315 to replace the B type filter.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit