Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining pool using pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern California

Draining pool using pump?

Just moving into a property and need to drain the pool to lower the CYA level (up about 150!). The pressure side piping has a hose spigot installed. Is it acceptable to use the main pump (1hp) to drain the pool through this spigot? The skimmer valve looks like it maintains a decent seal when the water level drops below the skimmer inlet. Worried about damaging the pump motor or impeller though...

gunnite bottom and fiberglass walls that have been coated with epoxy paint. Approx. 24000 gallons, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Richland Hills, TX
    I have a small sump-pump I used for partial pool draining.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3
    Acton Maine
    Personally I usually just use regular hoses and create suction and use gravity doesn't cost anything except maybe a mouth full of water. When I need to drain for closing though I used a sump pump to expedite more quickly. The experts will have to speak to the pump harming issue.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator ,

4. Back To Top    #4

Hatfield, PA
    I regularly hook a garden hose up to this bib to drain off overflow from rain. No water will flow out of this though without closing up one of the two returns entirely and the other return about 3/4 of the way. My pressure will go up to about 12 psi or so and then the water will start flowing through the garden hose. If you really want to drain a lot of water and get it done quick, the waste line is the way to go.

5. Back To Top    #5

Alamo, CA
    To drop the CYA in my pool, I connected a hose to that waste port and ran the pump. But, I also had another hose running fresh water into the shallow end of the pool at the same rate such that the pool's level didn't change. I likely wasted quite a bit of water, but I was concerned about sucking air into the pump and/or having the pool pop up out of the ground.

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you have a main drain and can turn off the skimmer and open the main drain line all the way then it is fine to use the main pump to drain the pool.

Keep in mind that unless you know the water table is below the bottom of the pool it can be dangerous to drain the pool completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    I drained half the water in my pool this weekend. I thought my CYA was up over 160ppm but it was really only at about 100ppm, so I drained half of it. I rented a 4000gph pump from Home Depot for $36/day (or $24 for 4hrs). Took slightly under two hours, and they gave me two 50 foot lengths of hose to reach my sewer cut-out (draining your pool into the street is not allowed and water company hands out fines).
    15k IG gunite w/attached spa, Pentair VS-3050 pump, PacFab Mytilus 150 cartridge filter, The PoolCleaner 2X suction cleaner, Liquidator still in box in garage

8. Back To Top    #8
    Denver, Colorado
    I just attach the ladybug vacuum directly to the skimmer and set the filter to waste. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
    Denver, CO

9. Back To Top    #9
    Time to break out the huge plastic tarp
    In Ground Plaster Pool
    20000 Gallons
    Ecomatic SWCG
    1 HP WhisperFlow Pump
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter