Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poll for Borate users

1. Back To Top    #1

Poll for Borate users

I'm going on year 3 of BBB, I have not added ANY additional Borates since I started the method! Can this be right? No real measurable water loss other than backwashing and evap. I measured the other day, still 50, same as last year! I guess I want to know what are you guys seeing and doing each year?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poll for Borate users

I have to reduce water level for the winter freeze and add new in the spring, so I have to replace borates every year. I use the Borax and Muriatic Acid method to add borates. I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference in my pool but I like to do it anyway.
    There is a very long thread talking about this topic. so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    Not sure if that helps but hope it does a little.
    16 x 28 AG Doughboy pool with deep end drain and thru the wall skimmer, vinyl liner, 7' deep end ~11500 gals. 16" media master 150# sand filter using zeosand, 1.4 sq ft filter area, 1 hp, 10 amp Doughboy Power Pak II pump, TF-100 test kit. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit Michigan.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Grand Rapids, MI

I used boric acid last year and my reading on opening looked to be about 45.

I'd started from 50, but had topped up a little midsummer ( lots of splash out and evaporation.)

So lie you, I didn't lose much over winter anyway.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you testing for Borates? The LaMotte test strips don't have a very fine range on results, 0-15-30-50-80. My understanding is that borates, like CYA, doesn't evaporate. So you'll only see a loss through backwashing, draining, and splash-out.
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013